Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Film Entertainment Forum

‘You can’t take my car away - I am a top cop’s wife!’

Views: 1844  
Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 AM
Award Winner

Default ‘You can’t take my car away - I am a top cop’s wife!’

Ex-ATS chief A A Khan’s estranged wife holds up traffic at busy JJ junction, while trying to fend off recovery agents who claimed she defaulted on car loan.

Former IPS officer A A Khan’s wife of 26 years, Mehjabeen Khan, against whom he has filed for divorce, created a ruckus at J J Marg on Monday - enough to bring traffic on the major arterial road to a grinding halt.

According to eyewitnesses, Mehjabeen was stopped by two recovery agents of a well-known bank, who wanted to take away her silver Scorpio while alleging that she had defaulted on an EMI payment.

But Mehjabeen would have none of it; she allegedly screamed at them, telling them who she was, and causing quite a commotion at the busy junction.

According to a witness who does not wish to be named, the incident occurred around 3.30 pm. “This woman succeeded in blocked traffic for quite a distance.

I noticed there were these two people trying to reason with her. But she kept brandishing some sheets of paper in their faces, while yelling at them that they couldn’t take her car away as she was the wife of the former chief of the ATS.

“I went up to them to inquire why they were holding up the traffic. I learnt that the woman had apparently defaulted on some car loan she had taken, and was refusing to surrender the car.

A A Khan says his wife Mehjabeen was similarly harassed at Dadar eight days ago. “At that time, she told me the agents were being abusive and threatening her,” he said
“One of the papers she was brandishing was a colour printout of an ID card which described the person in the picture as an Additional Commissioner of Police in Bandra.

“By then, some policemen arrived to find out what was holding up the traffic. Some more time passed as they sized up the situation before leading the woman and the two men away,” he said.

‘All loans for car have been paid’

When contacted later, an irate Mehjabeen said, “I acquired the car through my husband in 2005. My husband did all the paperwork and I just signed wherever he told me to.

As far as I know, the last instalment on the car was paid up in 2007. How can they simply take my car away when I showed them the paperwork?”

When asked whether she had referred to Khan to try and wiggle out of the situation, Mehjabeen said, “I had with me documents to prove that the

loans had all been paid up. I was not showing them any copy of my husband’s ID card. When I went to the J J Marg police, they advised me to take the matter to the consumer court.”

She was harassed earlier too, says A A Khan

According to Khan, who retired as Additional DG (anti-Naxalism), this is not the first time that recovery agents have approached Mehjabeen. Eight days ago, Mehjabeen had SMSed him when she was similarly harassed at Dadar. “

At that time she told me the agents were being abusive and threatening her, and I recommended that she take up the matter with the police. I don’t know what happened after that,” he said.

When asked about Monday’s incident, Khan said, “I filed for divorce from my wife in 2007. There were three instalments on the car, and I did not pay the last one as she had no business having it. Though I know my wife can be extremely firm at times, blocking traffic was uncalled for. Understandably, the local police had to get involved.”

Confirming the incident, PSI D G Dhanawade of the JJ Marg police said, “It happened in the afternoon. But we cannot divulge any details.”

Latest News in Film Entertainment Forum