Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

New kid on the block - Mohit Malhotra

Views: 3178  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 PM

Default New kid on the block - Mohit Malhotra

People remember Mohit Malhotra as the arrogant King of Splitsvilla 2 who rubbed all female contestants the wrong way. His affection towards co-contestant Joanna is no secret. The boy- next- door is now an actor. Mohit is currently seen as a lower caste boy called Birju in Mitwa – Phool Kamal Ke that airs on Star Plus. The actor who hails from a well-to-do family has accepted the character of Birju as a challenge. The actor has impressed viewers with his acting in his maiden show.
Like many of his ilk Mohit admits that TV is a stepping stone and his final destination is films.

TellyChakkar spoke to the actor about his debut show, his career plans and his lady-love Joanna.

From Splitsvilla to Mitwa…how has the journey been?
It has been very nice and very fruitful. I am basking in the recognition and fame that Splitsvilla has brought me. I just hope that viewers accept me as Birju of Mitwa… as they had accepted me as Mohit in Splitsvilla. I hope the show does well and viewers appreciate our work.

How did you bag the role?
I went for the audition of this show through my manager Rupesh Sonar and the production house liked my performance and offered me the role

Were you always interested in acting?
I always wanted to become an actor. I think my elder brother Himanshu passed the acting bug in me. He too is an actor and has done a film. I feel blessed to have got Mitwa...

How did you groom yourself for the character of Birju?
I used to talk to lots of people who belong to the lower caste. I used to chat with my servants and auto-drivers and tried to pick up their accent. We also had a workshop which was organised by the production house. The workshop helped me improve my diction.

A majority of MTV faces are currently hosting a series of shows on the channel. Can we look forward to seeing you hosting some show?
Primarily it is acting for me. My next step is Bollywood. I am in talks with a couple of people regarding films. I am just waiting for something good to come my way.

In that case why did you opt for TV?
I think it will be an eventual and gradual progression. I would like to follow in the footsteps of Rajeev Khandelwal and Prachi Desai. Rajeev has done an incredible job in Aamir. I am sure things will turn good for me too.

Do you think reality shows are a ticket to acting?
I am not the authority to pass any comment on this. I just believe that unless you really have it in you, one cannot accomplish what he wants to. An actor’s job isn’t easy. If you have it in you irrespective of whether or not you have done a reality show you will make it.

What was your parent’s reaction to a bold show like Splitsvilla?
Since the beginning of the show they have always been supportive and helpful. In fact they have supported me in whatever I wanted to do. My parents are happy and proud of me bagging this show. Splitsvilla has given me immense popularity. If at all it is construed as a bold and objectionable show then why would people want to take pictures with me? Why would they take my autograph? The show had become a topic of conversation at the dinner table.

Do you agree that the Indian audience is prepared for bold shows like Splitsvilla?
Everybody focuses on different segments of the audience and MTV focuses on the youth. To some extent people have been influenced by Western culture. Indians have started following the international reality shows. It definitely will take some time for our viewers to embrace such reality shows but will eventually happen.

What is Mohit like in real life?
I am a travel buff and like any other youngster I like doing exciting things. I am an avid reader and I particularly like to read biographies. I am a huge fan and follower of Donald Trump.

Do you watch TV?
Yes, I do. I watch Balika Vadhu regularly.

Who is your favourite actor?
Madhuri Dixit and Sakshi Tanwar from television.

What do you have to say about your much publicised tiff with co-contestant Siddharth?
I would not comment anything on it. It was a show and such things keep happening on a competitive show like Splitsvilla. It was a very usual difference. Can’t friends fight and have differences?

So you saying that Siddharth and you are friends?
Yes, we are friends.

How did you feel when you were dethroned?
I felt bad but it was destined to happen. It is part and parcel of any game show. You go up in life and then come down but then you move on.

Are you going around with Joanna?
I would not like to comment on that.

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->