Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

TOP Mainstream TV Gay Contestants

Views: 697  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 06-25-2021, 07:38 AM

Default TOP Mainstream TV Gay Contestants

Sushant Divgikar: ‘We only see token gay contestants and characters on mainstream TV’

Actor-performer Sushant Divgikar, who has been in the entertainment industry for 15 years, found mainstream TV success back in 2018, when he performed as his drag alter-ego Rani KoHEnur on the singing reality show, Sa Re Ga Ma Pa. However, the former Mr Gay India (2014) feels not much has changed on television since then as far as representation of the LGBTQI+ community is concerned. “Be it a reality show or otherwise, I feel there are only token gay contestants or characters today, if at all - which is not okay. There's a need for more representation in daily soaps, movies and OTT content, because that can help change people’s mindsets,” he tells us.

This Pride month, he speaks to us about the entertainment industry's shortcomings and double standards related to the representation of LGBTQI+ community.

‘BOTH PEOPLE ON SCREEN - AND THOSE BEHIND IT - NEED TO BE SENSITISED’

Several artistes have spoken against straight actors playing LGBTQI+ roles in the industry, but Sushant doesn’t mind it as long as the actor does justice to the part. He says, “An artist’s job is to act, so I don’t hold it against them. Of course, I feel that in an ideal world a trans woman’s character would be played by a trans woman, for example, or at least someone from the queer community so that it looks realistic. But if a hetero***ual woman is getting the role and doing it well, then that’s great too. On the other hand, if she doesn’t do justice to the role, then it looks like a joke. That should not happen, viewer dekh ke cringe na kare!

Sushant adds that “it’s not just people on the screen, but those behind it - like the ones writing the scripts - that need to be sensitised towards the community as well.”

‘IT’S IRONIC THAT MANY BELIEVE QUEER PEOPLE CAN’T SING FOR STRAIGHT PEOPLE’
On the other hand, he feels that it’s unfair that he has been denied the opportunity to sing for straight people. “People have said, ‘you can’t do this because you are too gay’ or ‘you can’t sing for a woman because you are a man’. If I can sing in a woman’s voice better than some other woman, then why not? I can sing in two voices and have a four octave range. A singer is a singer. If you can give hetero***ual people queer roles, why can’t you have queer people sing for straight people? That is the biggest irony,” says Sushant, who identifies as genderfluid.

There are certain music labels that are being proactive. But I don’t think enough companies are doing it. Today, I am the face of so many brands not because they are doing me a favour but because I am talented,” says Sushant, who released his single Diamond in 2020, featuring him in his drag avatar, adding, “When a person walks in for an audition, then they should be judged on the basis of their talent, not where they come from or their ***ual orientation. We have so much talent in our country then why not celebrate it?

TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 06-25-2021, 07:43 AM

Sushant Divgikar: Salman Khan has offered me a film

He is the fresh, young face of LGBT community today, who started his career as an actor, VJ, choreographer and even won Mr Gay India 2014 pageant and went on to represent India at Mr Gay World 2014 contest. But, Sushant Divgikar, with his cute dimples and immaculate fashion sense became a household name when he appeared in Colors’ reality show Bigg Boss 8. After charming the nation with his sweet mannerism and amazing style quotient, Sushant has been evicted from the show hosted by Salman Khan. But he’s one helluva happy man…

A big relief
Sushant is candid enough to confess that in the past couple of weeks, he had given up on the negative energy, which was threatening to engulf the celebrity house. “I’m a certified psychologist and I have spent enough time with each candidate inside to realize that many of them are putting up a show and a charade to garner cheap publicity. I’m glad that I’m out of the show and came out with my head held high,” says he.

I will retire…
Old 06-25-2021, 07:43 AM

Sushant Divgikar to participate on 'Sa Re Ga Ma Pa' in his drag queen avatar

After hosting shows and exploring the non-fiction genre with 'Bigg Boss', on which we saw a glimpse of his singing s****s, Sushant Divgikar, former Mr Gay India and LGBTQIA flag-bearer, will now be seen as a participant on the music reality show, 'Sa Re Ga Ma Pa'. Interestingly, he will be performing as Rani Ko-HE-Nur, his drag queen avatar, which came into being a year ago. Says Sushant, “I have always been passionate about music. While I’ve been hosting shows since I was 16, I continued to do live performances as a singer. Later, television happened and I was excited about it. At that age, you do whatever it takes to be on screen. However, music has always been closest to my heart and what better platform than a show that I have grown up watching, to showcase my talent and introduce Rani — my drag alter ego — to people across the country. It’s the right time to do that, as Section 377 has been struck down. Earlier, people were apprehensive about being inclusive, fearing backlash, but since the landmark SC judgement, things have changed.”

Ask him whether it will be a case of style over substance, considering there are serious singers who have been a part of the show, and he says, “I know there will be participants who are more trained than me, but what I bring to the table is unique. I sing in both male and female voices. In fact, many participants assumed that I was on the show for a special performance or to host it. They were shocked to learn that I would be participating with them. I would tell other contestants that aap apne performance par dhyaan do. Aisa na ho ki main trophy lekar chala jau aur aap dekhte reh jao.”

Talking about his choice of performing as a drag queen, Sushant says, “There hasn’t been a drag queen before me on TV. I want to introduce drag as a performing art on stage and to people, because it hasn’t been introduced in mainstream entertainment. With the help of Sushant’s voice, I aspire to put Rani in the forefront. I have realised that music makes me happy and I feel no shame in admitting that I sing for applause. People make comments on the way I walk, talk and look, but once I hit the right notes, their jaw drops and they ask me for a picture (laughs!). Winning the show is secondary, all I want to win is people’s hearts with my talent. It’s normal to have preconceived notions about a certain section of people, but one can change minds with talent.”

So, will he be Rani Ko-HE-Nur throughout the show? He jokes, “If Rani gets tired, then maybe, Sushant will take over briefly. It’s so funny that while other contestants came casually dressed on the show, I looked like I was there to get married on stage. Rani is a complete package — she is visually appealing, magnanimous in her appearance and a good singer. Interestingly, a day before I started shooting for the show, it was my drag avatar’s birthday, who turned one on September 21. What better gift than this show for Rani?”

Ask him if the move also marks the beginning of Indian television being more inclusive now and he replies, “Absolutely. There have been shows featuring people from the LGBTQIA community, but the treatment wasn’t filtered and the job profiles were restricted. Fortunately, people have started accepting diversity now, as that provides equal opportunity. Now, what I do with that opportunity is totally up to me. Just because I am gay, I am not expecting them to make me win the show. I am not asking for more rights. All I am asking for is equal opportunity. And having a show like this, with no barrier of any kind, is a big leap in the right direction.

Tags
Actor-performer Sushant Divgikar, LGBTQI+, mainstream TV, Mr Gay India, Pride month, Rani KoHEnur, sa re ga ma pa, Sushant Divgikar, Sushant Divgikar Gay, Sushant Divgikar Gay Sceens, tv stars

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->