Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

Paul Marshal - Every tear dropped from the Judges, Contestants are FAKE

Views: 861  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 06-17-2021, 04:55 AM

Default Paul Marshal - Every tear dropped from the Judges, Contestants are FAKE

Dance Deewane 3’s Paul Marshal on reality shows featuring ‘fake’ stories for TRP: Every tear dropped from the judges, contestants’ eyes is real, nothing is fake

Choreographer Paul Marshal Cardoz, 32, is currently seen on the show, Dance Deewane 3 as a choreographer. His act with contestant Uday was one of the recent highlights and judge Tushar Kalia, along with Madhuri Dixit and Dharmesh were in awe of Paul and applauded him. The shoot of the reality show is happening in Umbergaon due to the lockdown in Mumbai. Speaking about his career, the pandemic, journey and future ambitions, Paul bared his heart out in this exclusive conversation with ETimes TV. Read on:

Experience of working during the pandemic

For the first time in 32 years of my life, the situation is such that there's fear while shooting but at the same time, we also have the responsibility of entertaining the audience. With the sad news around, we try to keep the mood of the audience a little light with our efforts. We've reduced the number of people and try to maintain social distance during rehearsals, and always wear masks. Choreographers and assistants wear masks throughout the day and we let the dancers be sans it because it causes breathing problems.

On what kind of emotions went through when hugged by Tushar sir

This is my first season with Dance Deewane and they already have a certain benchmark set right from the first season, and to break that and create a different identity was very challenging. Out of those three judges, Dharmesh is like a brother to me, we have worked together in reality shows for many years. I wanted to put a special act for the audience and wanted it to be executed in the exact manner. Because, at times it happens that we practice something in the hall and it comes across differently on the stage. Uday is a sweet person but as a dancer, he's yet to polish up. The act came out to be so good. I felt so proud when Tushar came on stage, appreciated the act and called me on the stage. Whenever Dharmesh has been appreciated, he has called his team on the stage. Similarly, when my name was called, I believed it was nothing without my team and I called my team. Madhuri (Dixit) ma'am whistled for me and when I was watching the episode with my mother, she had tears in her eyes. That was the moment I realised I've achieved something just by hearing my name 'Paul' from Madhuri ma'am.

About the struggles in his journey

There are always ups and downs in one's journey but it's about how we take it, and I have taken it very positively. During the earlier days, I never thought of being a choreographer or a dancer, I always wanted to open my own art gallery. I haven't learned to paint or sketch but it would always excite me. My initial plan was to open my own art gallery but I did not have the money to learn arts from a good school. When I was in boarding school, I used to play drums. So, I have been a drummer for three years and also dreamt of doing something in the field of music. As soon as I completed boarding school, I found out the cost of a drum set, which was Rs. 15, 000, which was way too expensive for us back then. I started doing inter-college competitions and that's when I developed interest in dance and Prabhudeva ji and Govinda ji have been my idols. I have learned dance by watching them, but I have never taken special training. I did not have the money to take professional training in dance. One of my friends asked me if I would work as a back dancer and I got excited to know that I would be paid for it. I started with the Marathi industry as a folk dancer with Umesh Jadhav, one of the biggest choreographers in the Marathi industry. Then I did reality show, Krazy Kiya Re where Dharmesh, Rahul and I met for the first time and there we became friends. After that show, Dharmesh did DID and he became Dharmesh Sir. Next, he was seen as a skipper, then mentor on DID Li'l masters and he asked me if I would assist him. That's when my actual journey began and a time came when I did DID 3 as a contestant where my first performance was 'Apsara Aali'.

On accusations of reality shows showing ‘fake’ emotional stories

I will not be diplomatic. The scene is that we have to see who our audience is and what attracts them. If they like emotional acts, I will show them emotions not comedy. If my audience wants to see fun, I won't waste my emotions there. I think our Bollywood audience and Indians overall are very emotional where they get attracted to emotions shown on reality shows. Whatever stories that are shown, they aren't fake. You must have noticed that if we have 10 acts then the 3 that are emotional ones, the viewership is boosted. Why so then? If our audience is emotionally attached to us then we'll show emotions but none of the stories are fake. Many people feel that reality shows often show sob stories by showing a poor contestant from a village. But, whenever tears have fallen from any of the judges eyes of the audience, it has always been real. Nothing is fake.

About the applauses being received for his performance ‘Apsara Aali’

It feels like a dream. I sometimes wonder what if I hadn't done that act, would I be appreciated in the similar manner for my work. That one performance made my life and it helped me in my journey because throughout my journey, many a times I got to hear about the 'Apsara Aali' performance. Now also people appreciate that performance even after so many years. According to that time, that performance was good but if I compare it with today, it is an "okay" performance. 'Apsara Aali' was my first danger zone performance and I am happy to have this act in my life.

On being in touch with Remo D’souza, Terence Lewis and Geeta Kapur

I had done India's Best Dancer in between where Terence and Geeta were there as judges and it felt nostalgic. Similarly how Dharmesh was conferred with the 'Sir' title, I was also applauded by Terence sir who loved my first performance on IBD and said that he would call me "Paul sir". I had tears in my eyes and it was unbelievable. We've learned everything from each other and Dharmesh is more than a big brother to me. Rahul Shetty is my partner in crime.

Is your ultimate aim to judge dance reality shows?

From the time I've started doing reality shows, Krazy Kiya Re to Dance Deewane 3, I have seen a different, happier version of myself and I feel good to take challenges. I strongly believe that if given a chance to be one of the judges on any reality show, I'll be able to do justice. A show like Dance Plus, where you are a mentor and have contestants under you or Dance Deewane, where you are judge - I am really looking forward to do them in future. If somebody considers me, I would be grateful to be a part of it. I really want to be a judge.

Among TV actors, who are good dancers?

Ritvik Dhanjani is a great dancer. He had come for Dance India Dance audition also but he couldn't make it to top 16. He then went on to host Super Dancer and is a mind-blowing human being. I think he's one of the finest actors too.

Message for fans to stay positive during the pandemic

The more you get scared, the fear will overtake you. Stop getting scared, try and help each other. In this situation, Rahul (Shetty) and I started this organisation, ‘Healing with Humanity’ where we can help people with basic essentials such as ration for a week and more. The needy people can message us directly on Instagram and if people can't help monetarily they can come and volunteer. Any kind of help is welcome. Eat less one day but feed the needy, all these things will keep you busy and active and the fear will be overtaken with goodness. There are many of them who have thanked us and it feels great to receive those blessings. You are entertaining, helping the people, fighting the pandemic, there is so much that is keeping me positive within and not on my COVID report (chuckles).

Tags
Dance Deewane 3, Paul Marshal

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->