Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Sports News Forum

Lalit Modi to contest Cricket Club of India elections

Views: 2000  
Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Award Winner

Default Lalit Modi to contest Cricket Club of India elections

Indian Premier League (IPL) Commissioner and Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) vice-president, Lalit Modi is going to contest the Cricket Club of India (CCI) elections. Modi put in his nomination yesterday for the CCI committee. The elections to the prestigious Churchgate club take place on December 18-19.

Incidentally, the CCI's Brabourne Stadium plays host to the third cricket Test between India and Sri Lanka tomorrow. With that, Test cricket returns to the club after 36 years. Modi confirmed that he is to contest the elections saying, "I am not in the city, but a representative has put in my nomination on Monday

. I would be contesting for a post on the committee. In fact, Rajbhai (the late Raj Singh Dungarpur) always wanted me to contest the elections. If I am elected, I look forward to making a huge difference to the club."

Modi's candidature has enormous ramifications for the cash-rich club. Sources estimate that the club's kitty is worth approximately Rs 250 crore.

The obvious conjecture is that the ground would now play host to more cricket and certainly IPL fixtures too might be held at the club if Modi finds a place on the committee.

The club's recent history included a bitter battle between the I M Kadri and Dungarpur factions for the club's presidency. Muck flew on both sides. At one juncture Raj Singh was banned from entering the club.
Then, Kadri withdrew and Dungarpur's faction won.

Recently, the club was in the eye of a storm after former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Kamaljeet (Bonny) Rajpal shot himself in the mouth in an alleged suicide attempt after he was accused by a lady club member of ***ual harassment. Bonny survived and has been out of hospital for a while now.

Yet, it is South Mumbai's coveted cricket destination that is in urgent need for the healing touch.

Latest News in Sports News Forum