Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Film Entertainment Forum

Marianne Review (Netflix): A Delicious Treat For The Lovers Of Horror Genre

Views: 1732  
Old 09-21-2019, 12:14 PM

Default Marianne Review (Netflix): A Delicious Treat For The Lovers Of Horror Genre

Marianne Review (Netflix): In Bollywood, we hardly see a good horror film. So when Netflix arrived in India, I was excited to finally see some gorgeously scary stuff among the various unexplored genres in Bollywood and other Indian entertainment industries. To make a point, I must say that French show Marianne satisfied my taste buds for the horror genre.

So, the story is about Emma Larsimon (Victoire Du Bois) who has become an extremely popular horror book writer after she started writing stories of her nightmares related to Marianne. But she’s yet to face the challenge of her life which drags her to hometown.

As she goes Elden, her hometown, she’s shocked to learn that her books have badly affected the lives of people here along with her own parents and the sole reason behind it is Marianne (A witch who is the wife of demon Beleth). Now as she counters some terrific and chilling incidents in otherwise an eye-pleasing town, she also learns that Marianne doesn’t want her to stop writing those horror books. Because these books make a path for her to enter the lives of normal people.

Marianne Review (Netflix): A Delicious Treat For The Lovers Of Horror GenreWhat will she do amidst all this chaos? Watch the web show to know.

Samuel Bodin & Quoc Dang Tran‘s screenplay is filled with moments that will send a chill down your spine. The very first scene of the show sets the stage and spooks the hell out of you with a terrifying moment. Not just it promises a show but a character that will stay with you for long. I am talking about Mrs. Daugeron here whose character has been played by Mireille Herbstmeyer. Mrs. Daugeron solely manages to give you ample amount of horror-filled moments that you won’t be able to forget easily.

But it’s just a start and she’s not the only part exciting here.

As you move ahead and the story starts building up, there’s always something or else which keeps you looking for more. The most amazing thing here is the approach of the writers towards horror. Apart from a few resemblances to the old horror movies or shows, this one has quite a unique approach. The scene in which Emma encounters her parents in an awkward situation has a great shock value. Further, the scenes in her native house are spooky as hell. The whole investigation part about the disappearance of Emma’s parents is intriguing. The flashback scenes of Emma and her friends when they tried to summon Marianne for the first time keep you hooked. The curiosity to know what connects Emma to Marianne is always there and makes you looking for clues. The scene in which Emma dreams about her friend’s wife giving birth to a devil is disgusting and brilliant at the same time. I wonder how the writers would’ve imagined it. And then the finale is worth all the time you invest in this show. Without giving you spoilers, I’ll just say that you would’ve never imagined that horror can be this beautiful and so satisfying.

The show also has some light moments. Some early scenes between Emma and her assistant, the romantic angle between her and Seby is cute.

Also, the show has been very beautifully shot. The breathtaking locations will take your heart away and will give you travel goals.

Performances wise, Mireille Herbstmeyer has done a terrific job and the best by far. Full marks to her and the casting director for bringing her on board for the character she plays. Her creepy smile even surpasses Pennywise from It and that’s where she wins.

Victoire Du Bois is confident, cute and a heart winner.

Alban Lenoir as Inspector Ronon is good. Délia Espinat-Dief as Marianne is the most surprising element of the season. You won’t believe your eyes when you see her and the dreamy scene which follows. Others lend good support.

Samuel Bodin has done a fantastic job as a director and has shown his brilliance by getting fab results in almost every department. He has made a horror show which is a treat for the lovers of the genre. Background Music is amazing and looks inspired by Bollywood. Editing is good and the show hardly drags.

Overall, I’ll give double thumbs up to Marianne for being a terrific horror show. Go and enjoy this scary ride.

Rating: 4/5

Old 06-09-2020, 05:03 AM

Story. About the Film:
  • Emma, a famous and successful French horror writer, is forced to return to her hometown after the woman who haunted her dreams fifteen years ago begins to re-appear. The work she writes is apparently a work of fiction, but how much is fact?
  • Famous author Emma Larsimon is haunted by the character Marianne. The witch that she created and the very entity that causes her sleepless nights. Sick of the twisted world she has created, Emma decides to retire from writing, but a bizarre visit from a childhood friend causes her to visit the the very place she swore she would never return. Her hometown.
Interesting Facts
  • Throughout the entire story, Emma wears only black, white and red.
  • The closing song is "Hey" by the Pixies from their 1989 album Doolittle.

Negative Reviews:
  • Apart from gorgeous screenery there is nothing to it. Main character is lacking any redeeming qualities. At least I absolutely dislikes her. Dunno is it bad acting, casting or were just really badly written. Therefore could not care less what's gapping to her. Story is simple really but over complicated with all the additional nonsens. I admit the scenery is amazing but adding those "artistic" shots it makes it pretentious. If u walk your dog and while cleaning after it u gonna use a channel dog bags it is still gonna be a in a fancy bag. Just like this TV show.
  • It's nothing but a waste of time. Stolen ideas all over the place, that have been rehashed and exploited a thousand times in any medium you can think of. Two nice visuals, even if they are stolen fron giallo movies..but still. Acting on soap-level. Editing out of hell. Music that can't decide if you are watching a light thriller or some goofball comedy with Will Ferrell. And the dialogues..jesus christ. It's hard to imagine someone wrote this stuff and didn't just ask an algorithm to come up with some cliche, absolute nonsense phrases like

I see you because I know that I see you

You could have ended the whole story on episode one, nothing would have changed. The fact that the showrunners have the audacity to tease a Season 2 is just horrendous.

People say I-Land is the worst thing Netflix put out so far - well, watch this stuff and try to take it seriously for a minute, I dare you. We watched it to the end because we were having fun in our disbelief, that some people actually find this good or even scary. People who call themselves Horror-Experts. Well, I watch and read a lot of horror and I wasn't even scared once. Not close. But i laughed my ass off - so take this as you will but be sure.
  • Lately I have noticed many "good" series from netflix getting ruined by horrible dubbing. With netflix investing so much money on foreign series and films, it would make sense for them to fix this. In my opinion it really takes me out of the story and makes it unwatchable when I hear horrible voice actors. If you understand french, watch it, if you enjoy reading subtitles during movies then I guess watch it (I'd rather read a book tho) but if not then this is a HARD PASS.
  • I have fairly severe hearing loss, but I usually get by fine with a combination of modest lip-reading s**** and subtitles, but that's impossible with this butchered mess. While the actor's lips say one thing, the dubbed-in voices say another and the captions yet a third. I gave up after two minutes. I assume those with normal hearing will probably ignore the subtitles and do fine.
  • Whoever is saying the acting is "on point" must be using his local theater productions as reference.

The acting is insufferably bad. Sounds like they're doing read-throughs, instead of actual scenes.

Just can't tolerate the atrocious acting.
  • Story starts not bad, idea is ok, but this was such a pain to watch, that is hard to imagine. Slow paced horror story mixed with wannabe drama and a bit of soap love story. I had to skip through the last 4 episodes. There are few scary ideas (seen before) runing throuhg the whole seaaon, its just boring. Story becames a mess, and characters are really not likable, none of them. Super predictable twists. Waste of time.
  • The reviews made me believe that this is a foreign show on the level of Dark.. I've made it to episode 6 and I'm yet to even be slightly impressed or have the urge to continue. The "horror" aspect of the show heavily relies on cheap jump scares with a REALLY loud noise to go along with them. They're cheap not only in the way they choose to startle you, via very loud noises for example, but also cheap in the way that they were clearly made on a very tight budget with very limited special effects at their disposal. I could've sworn that they used a cheap and laughably fake looking mask for a few of them. Most of the scares make no sense and are just there for the sake of it. They stop being scary after the first episode and just become a tediously predictable nuisance. All this, with the tons of plots holes and mediocre acting accompanying it, I would strongly recommend staying away from this show.
  • With the reviews raving about this i had to give it a shot. I was seriously disappointed. When they say the dubbing is bad they mean its beyond terrible, i would have rather watched it with subtitles. I really wanted to give this a higher review but i just can't. The story is ok, slightly different for some aspects but i found it extremely boring and not at all scary. I fell asleep watching it and it took me a week to watch 8 episodes... I have binge watched entire seasons of shows back to back if they were worth it, this was not. So if your idea of scary is being bored to death then by all means please watch this. If you have a hard time being scared by anything, like i do, then do not waste your time. I believe i have officially given up on "Netflix Originals" they always disappoint.

Positive Reviews:
  • Wow! I've known for a while that the French can make great drama and thrillers, but here they come with a horror series and they knock it out of the park yet again! There's an option for both subtitles and dubbing, and the dubbing works quite well, if you're like me and can't stare avidly at the screen at all times. I absolutely LOVED Marianne! The acting was great, the setting and buildup just right and executed correctly. The twists were really good and that ending means we need a season two! We NEED IT.
  • I have to start this review by confessing that I basically only watch horror movies and series. Since there is so little decent content I have to watch the occasional sci-fi, superhero and action movie.

I was very excited when "Haunting of Hill House" was released only to be left disappointed. It turned out to a family drama foremost splattered with horror elements to make up the time.

With Marianne we have a proper horror story and the tale is centred by the darkness that follows our heroin, Emma.

The acting is spot on, the setting is gloomy and the directing is probably the best I have seen in a while. The story moves along at pace and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Watch it, you won't be sorry.
  • I'm writing my first review in part to counter a few negative reviews by "C" drama students. ;-) I'm neither a "C" student, nor a drama student, but I like the grey, film noir look and cinematography of this series. The woman playing Marianne is perfectly cast, and the other actors are quite enjoyable as well. I'm three episodes in, and I've had goosebumps several times and jumped a few more. There's a mystery surrounding Emma's past that I'm interested in learning more about. I've alerted a few of my horror-loving friends about "Marianne," and they're enjoying it as well. Definitely worth a watch!
  • I watch a lot of horror, and by that I mean a LOT. It's like my breakfast cereal. And as you can imagine, by doing that you have to sort through all the kinds of trash that is out there in the horror genre. When I first saw the poster for "Marianne" on Netflix I was intrigued, but nothing more. I figured I would like it as much as "The Haunting of Hill House", which I really enjoyed. I thought that "Hill House" was outstandingly good and that I wouldn't experience such good horror again in a series. But boy oh boy, how wrong I was. Compared to "Marianne", "Hill House" is a bleak comparison - although I still love it and this should only be seen as a radar of how much I am obsessed (pun intended) with Marianne, and not in any way trashing of "Hill House". Marianne manages to catch and mermerize and scare the living hell out of me. It is beautifully written, composed and the photography is wonderful. The actors are great and for the first time since I've seen anything in horror I can say that I have absolutely no complaints (note that I still have two more episodes to go though, so who knows?). I just felt I had to write this review now, before seeing the last bit just to capture my devotion of the moment to it.

It is a masterpiece, and after "Game of Thrones" I never thought my heart would heal again - well, "Marianne", you brought me back to believing in love and I thank you for it.

Tags
Marianne, Marianne Flop, Marianne Hit, Marianne how many viewed, Marianne Negative reviews, Marianne Positive Reviews, Marianne rEVIEW, Marianne Reviews

Latest News in Film Entertainment Forum