Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 1000 Recipes (Photos+Full Details)

Views: 64534  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Turkey Italian Sausage and Mushroom Pizza Braid

I didn't feel like making a big dinner so I decided to grab a few ingredients from the grocery store to make a homemade pizza. Instead of a regular pizza my kids and I decided to make a pizza braid. It only took a few extra minutes to make but was totally worth it! It not only looked really pretty it tasted delicious too. I planned on using just sausage and mushroom for the filling but my kids talked me into using pineapple too. This pizza braid was quick and easy to make and was a huge hit with the whole family... especially my kids who thought it was really cool.

Turkey Italian Sausage and Mushroom Pizza Braid:

Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 3 turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 8 oz of ****on mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Cornmeal
  • Pizza dough
  • Pizza sauce
  • Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Pineapple tidbits
  • Dried basil, to taste

Place the pizza dough onto a floured surface and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Heat the olive oil in a large s****et over medium high heat. Add the sausage (removed from casings) to the s****et and cook for 3 minutes, making sure to break up the sausage into crumbles. Add the onion, mushroom, crushed fennel seeds, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes, stirring often, or until the sausage is cooked through and the mushrooms and onions are tender. Set aside.

Place a silpat mat (or large baking tray) on the counter and coat with cooking spray and sprinkle the top with a bit of cornmeal. Roll (or spread) the dough out on top of the silpat mat into a rectangle. Spoon the sauce down the center of the rectangle followed by the meat filling, pineapple, and cheese. Note: Don't use too much sauce or your pizza braid will be a bit soggy.

Cut even slits on both sides of the filling with a pizza cutter. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling.

Spray the top of the pizza braid with olive oil cooking spray then sprinkle with a bit of dried basil.

Carefully place the silpat mat onto a baking sheet then place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Toffee Crunch Dip with Apple Slices

This recipe is from my sister Dana. She makes this dip for holidays, birthdays, and tailgating for the BSU Bronco football games. It's always a huge hit when she makes it and never lasts long. The dip itself is sweet, creamy, and crunchy and it pairs perfectly with the crispy and tart apple slices. It's extremely quick and easy to make and will make all of your guests very happy. Thanks for the great recipe Dana.
Toffee Crunch Dip with Apple Slices:
Original recipe by my sister Dana
  • 8 oz cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of white sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 4 oz Heath toffee bits
  • Red apples, sliced
  • Green apples, sliced

Combine the cream cheese, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla together until mixed thoroughly. Add most of the toffee bits and stir. Sprinkle the top with the remaining toffee bits. Serve immediately with sliced apples. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM

Flaky ****ermilk and Chive Biscuits

I made some flaky biscuits to go with the Cheese and Potato Soup I was serving for dinner recently. I decided to add chopped chives to the biscuits because I thought they would pair nicely with the soup. I loved the flavor the chives gave to these flaky biscuits and they tasted so fantastic dipped in the cheesy soup. They were simple to make and turned out flaky and delicious - a big hit with all of us.

Flaky ****ermilk and Chive Biscuits:
Original recipe by Myrecipes and Cooking Light ~ 2008
  • 2 1/4 cups of flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 tbsp ****er
  • 3/4 cup of low fat ****ermilk
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat.

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Cut in the ****er with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles course meal. Place into the refrigerator for 10 minutes to chill. In a smaller bowl, combine the ****ermilk, honey, and chives then whisk until well blended. Add the ****ermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until mixed.

Place the dough on a well floured surface and knead 4-5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 9 x 5 inch rectangle.

Dust the top with flour then fold the dough crosswise into thirds (like folding a letter to fit into an envelope). Re-roll the dough into a 9 x 5 rectangle, dust the top with flour, and fold the dough crosswise into thirds again.
Gently roll or pat the dough into a 3/4 inch thickness and cut with biscuit cutter to form biscuits. Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool two minutes on a wire rack then serve slathered with ****er. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM

Mixed Greens with Apples, Sunflower Seeds, and Croutons with a White Cheddar and Chive Vinaigrette

My friend Kyle found a new vinaigrette that was filled with white cheddar and chives so we put together a very simple salad using mixed greens, apple, sunflower seeds, and croutons to go with the Cheese and Potato Soup we were having for dinner. The dressing was a bit sweet and tangy with a wonderful white cheddar and chive flavor and it paired nicely with the simple salad. I typically wouldn't post a dish like this because it's not much of a recipe but this salad and vinaigrette was so delicious that I had to share it with you.

Mixed Greens with Apples, Sunflower Seeds, and Croutons with a White Cheddar and Chive Vinaigrette:
Photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Recipe by Kyle Smith
  • Mixed greens
  • Apple, sliced
  • Sunflower seeds (salted)
  • Herb croutons
  • White cheddar and chive vinaigrette (made by Riverhouse)

Combine the mixed greens together with the sliced apple, sunflower seeds, and croutons. Drizzle the salad the white cheddar and chive vinaigrette and toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Cheese and Potato Soup

We were having friends over for dinner and I wanted to make something warm and comforting since it was a very cold and rainy day. I found this cheese and potato soup on Mary's site called One Perfect Bite that looked delicious, easy, and perfect for dinner. It was super simple to make, smelled delicious while cooking, and tasted creamy, cheesy, and fantastic. We all loved the soup, including all of the kids. Thanks for a terrific recipe Mary.

Cheese and Potato Soup:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Mary at One Perfect Bite
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1-2 tbsp ****er
  • 3/4 cup of sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3/4 cup of celery, diced
  • 8 cups of russet potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 6 cups of chicken broth
  • Sea salt and white pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups of half and half (I used fat free)
  • 10 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • Chives, chopped for garnish
  • Bacon, chopped for garnish
  • Cheddar cheese, shredded for garnish

Heat the olive oil and ****er in a large Dutch oven over medium low heat. Add the onions and celery and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until tender. Do not let the onions brown. Add the potatoes, chicken broth, sea salt and white pepper, to taste. Simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes.

Once the potatoes are tender, mash them slightly with a potato masher, leaving most of them in chunks. Reduce heat to low then stir in the half and half, cheese, and sugar to the soup. Stir until the cheese has completely melted and dissolved into the soup. Taste and re-season with salt and white pepper, if needed. Simmer slowly for 10-15 minutes, making sure not to let the soup boil. Serve topped with chives, bacon, and more cheddar cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy.

Tags
food, photos, recipes, top 1000

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum