Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 10 Tips for Diabetes

Views: 8986  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.00 average.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:07 AM

Default TOP 10 Tips for Diabetes

Preparing for a doctor's visit

Visiting your doctor will keep you up-to-date with blood glucose management plan. Your doctor would let you know if your situation has improved or not. Here are a few things that you should keep in mind while speaking to your doctor:
  1. Prepare a checklist of things you needIn order to give your doctor a holistic view of your progress so that he or she can diagnose you properly, ensure that you bring:
    • All of your data (blood glucose test results over the last 15-30 days)
    • Your blood glucose meter
    • Any journals of your blood glucose levels and diet plans that you may have made
    • Files and test results that include previous diagnoses, lab reports from other doctors that may be important to your condition, and even HbA1C levels if required.
  2. Be realistic
    • If you want your doctor to make a correct and complete review of your diabetes management plan, make sure you are honest about everything that you do, even if you think it may not be related, or if you feel embarrassed about sharing them.
    • If you feel you may not be able to follow through with anything in your new schedule or plan, inform your doctor and he or she will help you find a solution, or a simpler alternative.
  3. Satisfy your curiosityLast but not least, ask all the questions that you have bundled up. Diabetes management is a long and comprehensive process- you need to learn all you can along the way. Write your question down so that you don't forget and ensure that you leave doctor's clinic well-informed. Here are some questions you can ask your doctor:
    • Being a person with diabetes, am I at a risk of other medical complications?
    • When and how often should I test my blood sugar?
    • What should by blood glucose range be, and what if my blood sugar level is too high or too low?
    • What special care do I take if I'm unwell or sick?
    • How does exercise affect blood sugar levels?
    • How should I prepare for my holidays or when travelling?
    • What is the optimal weight that I need to be at?
    • What precautions should I take during festivals?
Now that you have everything you need to know before visiting your doctor, you can go for your next appointment fully prepared.
References: http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/questions-doctor-diabetes

Old 09-09-2017, 11:08 AM

7 Mistakes to avoid when managing your diabetes

Whether you’ve just set off on a diabetes-management plan, or you’ve been doing self-care for several years, here are some common mistakes to avoid while taking measures to control your diabetes.
  1. Not keeping a note of your reading When you have diabetes, both you and your doctor need to work together. Your doctor needs to know a trend of blood sugars so that he can decide the best way forward
  2. Reading too much Remember to get your diabetes information from valid and trustworthy sites. Not everything you read off the internet be true.
  3. Trying to change too much Pick one thing and move toward your goal in small, doable increments.
  4. Skipping foods you love: You don't necessarily have to skip your favourite foods completely, you may be able to have them in controlled portion sizes.
  5. Feeling like you've failed Accept it, learn from it and don't let it ruin your day. After all, anything you do to take care of yourself is a win.
  6. Guessing your blood sugar number Your body can be a guide, but it doesn't always tell you when your blood glucose is out of range. A blood glucose meter, like Accu-Chek is an accurate & reliable way to know your blood glucose level and take appropriate action.
  7. Forgetting yourself Diabetes management is a long process. Your doctor, your family and others may have helped, but ultimately, it was you. Take credit!
Diabetes control is a long process, and every step you take is a step towards your goal. Take it one day at a time, and remember- Monitoring your blood glucose and discussing your readings with your doctor can help in keeping your diabetes in control.
Source: https://www.accu-chek.com/diabetes-b...ommon-mistakes

What to look for in a blood glucose meter?

While searching for a blood glucose meter, it is important to purchase one that is easy to use and one that you are comfortable with. Here are a few important features that you would want your new blood glucose meter to have:
  1. Accuracy Accuracy, as per the accepted standard ISO 1597:2013, is an important requisite for your blood glucose meter to have in order to better understand how your blood glucose levels react to various consumptions and activities throughout the day.
  2. User-Friendly Certain blood glucose meters do not require any coding from the end user, making them extremely convenient and very easy to use. Additionally, the display should be large and your blood sugar readings should be easy to read in the case of visual impairment.
  3. Safety A blood glucose meter that detects under-dosage is very useful as there will be an incorrect reading if there is an incorrect dosage. Having a re-dosage feature is an additional benefit wherein you can quickly take another dosage within a certain time period in order to make up for the lack of blood sample.
  4. Data Storage Using a blood glucose meter with data storage, and one that calculates averages readings over a period of time can prove to be very useful to your doctor as your doctor can then analyze your progress and make decisions as to what your medications should be and when you need to take it.
  5. Additional Benefits Some of the extra features that you should look for in your blood glucose meter include:
    • Pre-meal and post-meal markers
    • Postprandial reminders that alert you after lunch and dinner to test your blood sugar levels
An Accu-Chek Active meter is a great place to start. It is user-friendly, safe, and reliable. It also ascribes to the latest global accuracy standards (ISO 15197:2013), meaning that your blood glucose management routine becomes more accurate- better results for better health.
If you'd like to get started, visit www.accu-chek.in now, or go to http://www.colmed.in/accu-chek to make a purchase.

Understanding my blood glucose results.

Monitoring your blood glucose regularly is a great way to keep a track of your food, exercise and lifestyle habits, as it indicates and how they affect your blood sugar. These regular checks can help you take steps to diabetes self-care and are an essential step to managing diabetes.
Provide valuable information to your doctor – this allows your doctor to fine tune your therapy so
  • Keep your blood sugar within a healthy range
  • Adjust your meals, medication or activities
  • Reduce your risk of other health problems associated with diabetes
What do my blood glucose results indicate?

It's not unusual for your blood glucose results to be out of range now and then. But if these results are out of range more often than not, you may want to ask yourself:
Did I eat at an unusual time, have a larger or smaller portion, or try a new food?
Did I have more or less physical activity than usual?
Did I forget to take my medication, take it at the wrong time, take too little or too much?
Am I taking a new medication?
Am I stressed?
Am I falling ill?
Any of these can have an impact on your blood glucose numbers. If you are making changes to your lifestyle, or if you can't figure out why you've been out of range, talk to your doctor and take necessary steps to bring them back to normal.
Source: https://www.accu-chek.com/diabetes-b...lucose-results

Old 09-09-2017, 11:09 AM

3 Yoga asanas that are good for diabetes

During the monsoons, it is important that patients with diabetes stay away from the rain to avoid catching the flu. As a result of this, many people find it hard to keep to their workout schedule, or stay in shape. Yoga is the best way to stay in shape for patients with diabetes, while maintain their health and improving their flexibility. Here are 3 asanas that can be performed by them:
1. The Plank Pose How-to:
  • Get in the push-up position. Keep your arms perpendicular to the floor, with your shoulders directly above your wrists, and your torso parallel to the floor.
  • Push your shoulder blades into your back and then move them away from your spine. Spread your collar bones away from your sternum.
  • Straighten your back and look straight down at the floor. Hold this position for about 30 seconds to a minute.
Note: Avoid this position in the case of carpal tunnel syndrome.

2. Boat Pose How-to:
  • Sit on the floor with your legs in front of you, and press your hands on the floor a little behind your hips.
  • Lean back slightly, while still keeping your back straight. Begin to balance your weight on your two sitting bones and your tail bone. As you exhale, ensure that your knees are bent, and begin to lift them till they’re about 45 degrees relative to the floor.
  • Slowly straighten your knees if possible, or keep them bent and parallel to the floor. Once you are able to balance the position, slowly lift your arms to a position parallel to your legs.
  • If you cannot hold the position, it is okay to keep your hands on the floor, and to hold the position for about 10 to 20 seconds.
Note: avoid this position if you suffer from breathing problems, heart problems, neck injury, or if you are pregnant or going through menstruation.

3. Head to Knee Forward Bend How-to:
  • Start by sitting on the floor with your legs in front of you, and sit on a blanket, if necessary. As you inhale, bend your right knee inwards so that your right sole touches your inner left thigh lightly. Your right shin should be perpendicular to your left thigh. Use the blanket for support if necessary.
  • Press your right hand against your inner right thigh, close to the groin. Exhale and turn your torso slightly to the left.
  • When you are ready, reach out to your left foot, grab it, and try touching your head to your knee.
Note: Avoid in the case of Asthma, Diarrhea, or knee injury

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum