Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 1000 Recipes (Photos+Full Details)

Views: 64533  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 AM

Shredded Beef Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I loved the homemade Enchilada sauce so much and I was excited to make another batch. I had a chuck roast in the freezer I needed to use up so I decided to make shredded beef enchiladas. I tried something new this time and made the enchilada sauce first then cooked the beef in the sauce so the sauce would flavor the beef and the beef would flavor the sauce. I can't tell you how delicious both the meat and the sauce turned out! I usually add beans or caramelized onions to my enchiladas but this time I wanted the beef and the sauce to be the main focus. This is one of the best batches of enchiladas I have ever made - we all loved them.

Shredded Beef Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 2 tbsp canola oil (divided)
  • 2 lb lean chuck roast
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, to taste
  • 2 tbsp chili powder (plus some to season roast)
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin (plus some to season roast)
  • 1 tsp coriander (plus some to season roast)
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano (plus some to season roast)
  • 1/2 tsp honey
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste (plus some to season roast)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup of beef broth
  • 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Sprinkle a bit of chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper on both sides of the roast. Once the pan is hot, add the roast and sear for about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.

Heat the remaining tablespoon of canola oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes, make sure you sc**** up the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the minced garlic, chile powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and honey then stir constantly for 1 minute. Add beef broth and diced tomatoes. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste and add the honey then cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.

After the sauce has simmered for 15 minutes, blend the sauce with an immersion blender (or regular blender) until smooth. Taste and re-season if needed. Add the roast and it's juices to the sauce, spoon some of the sauce over the top of the roast then cover with a lid and place into the oven. Cook for 2-3 hours or until the beef is tender and shreds easily. Make sure to check the meat every hour and add more beef broth if the liquid is getting low.

Remove the meat from the sauce and shred with forks, removing as much as possible.

If the sauce is too thick, add a bit more beef broth and stir to combine (I added about 1 cup).

Other Ingredients:
  • Corn tortillas
  • Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • Cilantro, chopped
  • Sour cream

Wet a dishcloth or several paper towels and ring out. Place the corn tortillas inside and cook them in the microwave for 60-90 seconds until soft and pliable. Coat the baking dish with cooking spray then pour some enchilada sauce over the bottom. Take a corn tortilla and spoon shredded beef along the center then roll and place into the pan. Repeat until finished. Add the rest of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Top with cheese then cover with tinfoil and place into the oven.
Bake for 25 minutes then remove the tinfoil and continue to bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with green onions. Serve with sour cream. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 AM

Herb Baked Eggs over Toast

I have been wanting to make this Ina Garten recipe ever since I first saw it. I had to adapt the recipe a bit to use what I had on hand and they turned out amazing. My husband and I loved these eggs - we especially loved the flavor the herbs and Parmesan gave to them. I served our baked eggs over toast for a delicious and light breakfast.

Herb Baked Eggs:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Ina Garten
  • 1 tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp ****er
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp fresh chives, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, leaves removed from stem
  • 1 tsp Parmesan, grated
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Preheat the broiler for 5 minutes. Place the rack about 4-5 inches below the heat.

Add the milk and ****er to a small baking dish. Place under the broiler and cook until warm and bubbly, about 1 minute. Remove from broiler.

Crack the eggs into a small bowl, being careful to keep the yolks whole. Carefully pour the eggs into the baking dish with the milk and ****er. Sprinkle the top of the eggs evenly with the chives, thyme leaves, and Parmesan cheese then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.

Place under the broiler and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the whites are set but the yolks are still soft. Serve plain or on top of ****ered toast. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 AM

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

I saw this recipe on the Pioneer Woman's site a long time ago and looked forward to making it. My daughter wanted to bake something with me, and since she LOVES cinnamon, I thought this would be the perfect time to finally make this bread. I used my bread machine for the first portion of this recipe but if you don't have a bread machine, the Pioneer Woman's site has step by step instructions. The bread was simple to make and my daughter had a lot of fun making it. It turned out so delicious and my daughter was extremely proud of her creation.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Pioneer Woman
  • 1 cup of warm milk
  • 6 tbsp of melted ****er
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup of white sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 1/2 cups of flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Place all ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed. Select the dough cycle and press start.

Once the bread machine stops (it was one and a half hours on my machine).

Other Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup of brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp of softened ****er for smearing

Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Roll into a neat rectangle no wider than the loaf pan you are using. Smear the dough with ****er. Combine the brown sugar with the cinnamon and spread evenly over the ****er smeared dough.

Starting at the far end, roll the dough toward you, keeping it tight and contained. Pinch the seam well to seal. Smear the loaf with a bit more ****er then place the dough, seam side down, in a loaf pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Cover with a cloth and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 40 minutes on the middle rack in the oven. Remove from the pan and allow the bread to cool on a wire rack. Slice and slathered with ****er. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 AM

Stuffed Yellow Squash

I picked up some yellow squash at the store and decided to stuff them with a bit of leftover marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoned panko crumbs. This dish couldn't be easier to make and it turned out fantastic! I think this is my new favorite way to eat yellow squash. Quick, simple, and tasty - you can't beat that!

Stuffed Yellow Squash:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • Olive oil or cooking spray
  • 2 yellow squash
  • 1/2 cup of marinara sauce
  • 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 4 tbsp Italian seasoned panko crumbs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking dish with a bit of olive oil or cooking spray.

Cut the yellow squash in half lengthwise then slightly scoop out the filling down the center of the zucchini. Spoon the marinara down the center of each yellow squash equally.

Next sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the marinara. Finally, sprinkle the top of each yellow squash boat with the panko crumbs.

Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 AM

Chicken Puttanesca

Quick Note: I wanted to let everyone know that I am now officially on Twitter. I never planned to become a Twitterer (is that a word?) but at the request of several readers, I finally caved. Click 4loveofcooking to become a For the Love of Cooking follower on Twitter. Thanks for your support! Now, on with the recipe...

I saw this recipe in Sunset Magazine and decided to give it a try. I adapted it just a bit by using boneless skinless chicken breasts and by adding capers, extra seasonings, and fresh basil. I would have added a bit of anchovies but I didn't have them on hand. It was a quick and easy week night meal that tasted gourmet and delicious. This dish was a huge hit with my entire family and one I will making again and again.

Chicken Puttanesca:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Sunset Magazine - August 2010
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • Garlic powder, to taste
  • Dried oregano, to taste
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 cups of g**** tomatoes
  • 2/3 cup of kalamata olives, pitted
  • 1 tbsp capers
  • 4 small slices of Mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 425.

In an oven proof pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Cut the chicken breasts in half then season each side with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano, to taste. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip the chicken over then add the crushed red pepper flakes, tomatoes, olives, and capers to the pan. Place into the oven and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Lay the cheese on top of each piece of chicken then continue to cook for 2 minutes. Serve with fresh basil on top. Enjoy.

Tags
food, photos, recipes, top 1000

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum