Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 1000 Recipes (Photos+Full Details)

Views: 64628  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 AM

White Bean Soup with Chorizo and Kale

The weather has been cold and rainy lately so I decided to warm us up with a pot of soup. I found this recipe in my Cooking Light - November issue and I was excited to make it. My husband loves chorizo so I knew he would be very happy to come home from work to a big bowl of this spicy soup. It was quick and simple to make and had very little clean up - my favorite kind of recipe. My husband loved it and so did I. It was a bit too spicy for my kids so my husband happily had the rest for lunch the next day.

White Bean Soup with Chorizo and Kale:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe from Cooking Light - November 2010
  • 3 oz of chorizo, removed from casing
  • 1 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 4 cups of chicken broth
  • 2 cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4 cups of fresh kale, chopped
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium heat. Remove the chorizo from casing and cook for 2-3 making sure to break up the chorizo. Add the onion and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and beans. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Take a potato masher and mash some of the beans to help thicken the soup. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the kale and simmer for a few more minutes then serve. Enjoy.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 AM

Cranberry-Orange Muffins

I love the flavors of orange and cranberry combined so I was excited to try these flavors together in a muffin. They were super simple to make (my kids helped) and they turned out even tastier than I imagined. Both of my kids loved them and have enjoyed them for breakfast and snacks.

Cranberry-Orange Muffins:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Myrecipes
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp orange rind
  • 3/4 cup of fresh orange juice
  • 1 cup of dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup of canola
  • 1 large egg
  • Coarse raw sugar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.

Place the dried cranberries and the freshly squeezed orange juice in a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes. This helps plump up the dried cranberries.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and orange rind together until well mixed. In a separate bowl, add the orange juice, cranberries, canola oil, and egg and mix together. Pour this mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined.

Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle a bit of course raw sugar on each muffin top. Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for a few minutes. Enjoy.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 AM

Southwestern Goulash

I was craving a simple and hearty dinner that used up some of the things in my refrigerator so I decided to make a Southwestern style goulash. It was a great way to use up the extra peppers, cilantro, and ground beef I had on hand and it tasted wonderful. I loved the spices and flavors of this dish and so did my husband. My kids said it was okay but it wasn't their favorite - that's okay, more for me!

Southwestern Goulash:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 3 baby red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, diced
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 7 oz can of whole green chilies, diced
  • 1 4 oz can of sliced olives
  • 1 cup of zucchini, diced
  • 1 cup of dried ditalini or macaroni pasta, cooked per instructions
  • 1 cup of frozen sweet corn
  • 1 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped, plus some for garnish
  • Cotija cheese, shredded

Heat the olive oil in a small Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper then sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the ground beef making sure to break up into small crumbles. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. Add the seasonings and minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chilies, olives, and zucchini. Cook for 15 minutes. Taste and re-season if needed.

Cook pasta per instructions. Add the drained pasta along with the chopped cilantro to the mixture and stir until well mixed. Let the mixture simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Serve topped with fresh cilantro and shredded cotija cheese. Enjoy.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:50 AM

Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla ****ercream Frosting

I want to say THANK YOU for all the sweet comments in regards to my cut finger - I have the best readers! I am happy to say that my finger is healing nicely and I am back to cooking.

My daughter turned eight this weekend and when I asked her if she wanted a cake or cupcakes and she told me she wanted chocolate cupcakes with pink frosting made from scratch, not a box mix. I found a great recipe online at The Farm Chicks site. I halved the recipe because I don't need 24 cupcakes sitting around my house tempting me. It was an extremely simple recipe to make (my daughter did everything). The cupcakes turned out incredibly moist and had a delicious chocolate flavor. The frosting was also very simple for my daughter to make and it too tasted great. The cupcakes were a huge hit with everyone. This will be my new go to recipe for chocolate cupcakes.

Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla ****ercream Frosting:
Original recipe by The Farm Chicks

Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes:
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 + 2 tbsp flour
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 1/4 cup of canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup boiling water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.

Sift together the dry ingredients into a large bowl.

Add the egg, milk, oil, and vanilla then beat together with a mixer until combined.

Sc**** the sides of the bowl then add the boiling water and mix until just combined. The batter will be very watery so don't be alarmed. Pour the batter into a measuring cup (it's so much easier and cleaner than using a spoon) and pour evenly into each liner. Place into the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before frosting.

Vanilla ****ercream Frosting:
  • 1/3 cup softened ****er
  • 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup milk

Beat the ****er in a bowl until creamy; gradually pour in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Once the frosting is well combined, add a few drops of food coloring then beat with the mixer until you reach your desired color.
Frost the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with decorations if desired. Enjoy!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:50 AM

Zucchini Coins with Marinara and Parmesan

This is my new favorite side dish or appetizer. I created these with some of the leftover marinara, panko crumbs, and Parmesan I used for the Chicken Parmesan I was making for dinner. The zucchini coins were simple and quick to make and tasted wonderful! I loved the flavors and textures of this dish with the soft zucchini and marinara sauce, the salty cheese, and the crispy panko. I will be serving these the next time I need an appetizer or nice side dish.

Zucchini Coins with Marinara and Parmesan:
  • Olive oil
  • 2 zucchini, sliced into thick slices
  • Marinara
  • Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • Italian seasoned panko crumbs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil then coat with cooking spray.

Slice the zucchini into thick slices. Toss the zucchini coins with a drizzle of olive oil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste, until evenly coated. Place the coins on the baking sheet then spoon a bit of marinara on top, followed by Parmesan cheese, and a bit of panko crumbs.

Place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or when the zucchini is just tender and the panko is golden brown. Serve immediately. Enjoy

Tags
food, photos, recipes, top 1000

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum