Rajinikanth, who was last seen in Pa Ranjith’s Kabali is all set to return to the big screen with the sequel to Shankar’s 2010 blockbuster, Robot, titled 2.0 . After 2.0, he’ll be seen as a gangster in Pa Ranjith’s Kaala Karikaalan. The film is highly awaited and unlike 2.0, which will be a big-budget extravaganza, Kaala is somewhat ******** in its approach with the larger-than-life Rajinikanth in the titular role. The film is much-awaited and has intrigued all the film buffs and movie lovers, more so because of its casting. Apart from Rajinikanth, the film sees the likes of Nana Patekar, Huma Qureshi, Pankaj Tripathi, Anjali Patil, Sayaji Shinde etc.

We caught up with Pankaj Tripathi, who is basking in the success of his latest release Newton, which has become India’s official entry to Oscars, and asked him about his films and one among them was Kaala Karikaalan. Also read: EXCLUSIVE! Pankaj Tripathi on Newton plagiarism row: I was in shock when I heard about it

When asked about the film and working with Rajinikanth, he said, “Mujhe unse milna tha baatein karna tha, unke paas baithna tha toh woh mujhe mauka mila kyunki acting mein mujhe nahin lagta unse zyada Hindustan mein koi popular actor hai. Aur ab unhein dekh raha hoon, mil raha hoon, baat kar raha hoon…seekh raha hoon unse. Aur achchi, bahut kamaal ki film ban rahi hai matlab Rajini sir ki routine filmon se thodi alag hai Kaala. Toh ismein baat hai, is film mein.” (I wanted to meet him and got the opportunity with Kaala. Because I don’t think there is an actor more popular than Rajinikanth in India. And now I am meeting him, learning from him. And the shoot of the film is going great. It is different from the typical Rajini sir-starrers. There is something about this film.)

When asked about his role in the film, he revealed, “Usmein bhi grey hai, negative aur grey ke beech ka mamla hai. Ek cop bana hua hoon, jiski baar baar Rajini sir se takrahat hoti hai. Baar baar aata jaata hoon milta hoon unse.” (Just like Newton), I have a grey character in that film too. I am playing a cop, who is anti Rajini sir’s character in the film, so we have several showdowns.) Also read: This ‘leaked’ pic from Kaala shoot introduces us to Rajinikanth’s family and his dog in the upcoming gangster drama
Finally, when I asked him about the language, and if he has spoken Tamil in the film, considering it’s an alien language for him, he said, “Tamil boli hai, dub toh koi aur karega but lipsync ke liye bolna toh mujhe hi padega. Toh maine Tamil boli hai thodi. Kaafi kathinai hoti hai Tamil bolne mein.” (Yes, I have spoken Tamil during the shoot but dubbing will be done by someone else. It’s been a very difficult experience for me.)
Stay tuned to BollywoodLife for all the latest updates…