Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 1000 Recipes (Photos+Full Details)

Views: 64649  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Garlic Basil Knots

I wanted to make some rolls to go with the Roasted Vegetable Minestrone I made for dinner recently. I decided to use my Mom's Dinner Rolls recipe but instead of making them into rolls, I cut the dough into strips, tied them into knots (easier said than done), baked them then coated them with melted garlic basil ****er. They were a HUGE hit with all of us, especially my kids who each had three with dinner. They were simple to make (thanks to the bread machine) and tasted fantastic. I will be making these again and again.

Garlic Basil Knots:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 tbsp of ****er, softened
  • 1 egg (hold under warm water before breaking it)
  • 3 1/4 cup of flour
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp regular active dry yeast
Place all dough ingredients in the bread machine= in the order listed. Select the dough cycleand press start. Once the bread machine stops (it was one and a half hours on my machine). Place a silpat mat on a baking sheet then coat with cooking spray. Flatten the dough onto a well floured surface then using a pizza cutter, cut into strips.
Take each strip and tie into a knot, making sure to keep it well floured so it doesn't stick together. Place each knot onto the baking sheet. Once you have tied all the strips into knots, cover them with a cloth and set in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake 9-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Other ingredients:
  • 1-2 tbsp of ****er, melted
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3-4 fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
Add ****er and minced garlic together and cook in the microwave until melted. Add the fresh chopped basil and stir. Once the knots are out of the oven, brush the top of each knot with the garlic basil ****er. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe
Old 05-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Roasted Vegetable Minestrone

We have all been struggling with terrible colds this week so I made a big pot of minestrone soup. I decided to roast the veggies before adding them to the soup for extra flavor. It was so simple to make, took very little time, and was enjoyed by each of us. My son especially loved it and asked for the leftovers for his lunch the following day.

Roasted Vegetable Minestrone:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking
  • 2 tsp olive oil plus more for drizzling on roasted veggies
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3 celery stalks, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 4 carrots, diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 yellow squash, diced
  • 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 15 oz can of cannellini beans, drained
  • 8 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup of ditalini pasta
  • 2 cups kale, chopped
  • 6-7 basil leaves, chiffonade
  • Shaved Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil (for easier clean up) and coat it with cooking spray. Add the carrots to the baking sheet, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and roast in the oven for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add the zucchini and yellow squash to the baking sheet with the carrots, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, then roast in the oven for 3-5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the oven and set aside.

Heat the 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and celery then sauté for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic then cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, oregano, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste and the ditalini pasta. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through. Add the kale, chopped basil, and roasted vegetables. Taste and re-season if needed. Serve with shaved Parmesan on top. Enjoy.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:12 AM

Teriyaki Chicken Thighs

I wanted a quick and healthy meal for dinner. I found a tasty looking recipe on the Food Network by Ellie Krieger for teriyaki chicken thighs that looks simple and delicious. I adapted the recipe a bit by using chicken stock instead of dry sherry and added just a touch of sesame oil to the marinade for added flavor. They turned out tender and so flavorful and my entire family enjoyed them. I served this chicken with brown rice and roasted asparagus for a healthy and filling meal.

Teriyaki Chicken Thighs:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Ellie Krieger on Food Network
  • 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp chicken stock
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp sesame seeds

Combine the soy sauce, sugar, chicken broth, vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes in a large zip lock bag. Mix until well combined. Add the trimmed chicken thighs to the marinade, seal the bag, and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours.

Heat a large s****et over medium heat then coat with cooking spray. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken thighs and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle the chicken with sesame seeds and serve immediately. Enjoy.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:12 AM

Taking a Break

I am taking the next few days off to spend time with my parents and my sister and her family. I am leaving you with a few of my favorite recipes. See you in a few days!

Candy Cookies

Chicken Pot Pie

Roasted Vegetables with Feta Cheese

Banana Coffee Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting

Taco Soup

Warm Spinach Salad with Sausage and Potatoes

Arroz con Pollo

Fried Tomatoes

Neapolitan Pancakes

Spaghetti and Meatballs
Old 05-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Poached Eggs on Toast with Roasted Tomatoes, Caramelized Mushrooms, and Shaved Parmesan

I saw a picture of this recipe in a Real Simple magazine earlier in the summer. I didn't get the recipe but the picture stayed in my mind and I knew I would eventually try to recreate it. I finally did this last weekend for my husband and I and I am so glad I did. It was WONDERFUL! I toasted the pieces of leftover French bread in the oven with the sliced tomatoes while I caramelized the mushrooms. Once it was all finished, I poached an egg and topped it with shaved Parmesan. This was a light and flavorful dish that both my husband and I really loved.

Poached Eggs on Toast with Roasted Tomatoes, Caramelized Mushrooms, and Shaved Parmesan:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Inspired by Real Simple
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 slices of French bread
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 8-10 ****on mushrooms, sliced
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Shaved Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil for easier clean up and coat it with cooking spray. Place 4 slices of tomatoes on the baking sheet as well as two slices of French bread. Coat the bread with cooking spray and season the tomatoes with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Place in the oven for 5 minutes or until the bread is toasted and the tomatoes are softened and warmed through.

Heat the olive oil in a s****et over medium high heat while the tomatoes and toast are cooking. Once the pan is hot add the sliced mushrooms and let them sit, without stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, flip the mushrooms and continue to cook until they are nice and caramelized. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.

Add water to a pan, filling it two thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Coat 2 poaching cups (or custard cups) with cooking spray then place in the water. Break 1 egg into each cup, season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste then cover the pan with a lid and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the whites are firm but the yolk is soft.

Layer the tomatoes on top of the toasted French bread followed by the mushrooms. Place the poached egg on top of the mushrooms then sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy!

Tags
food, photos, recipes, top 1000

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum