Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Sports News Forum

The best cricket sledges

Views: 4602  
Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Award Winner

Merv Hughes (Australia) and Hansie Cronje (South Africa): Once, during a tour game in South Africa, Merv Hughes was bowling to Hansie Cronje. It was an especially flat wicket and Cronje was tonking Hughes all over the park.
After the umpteenth boundary, Hughes headed down the pitch, stood near Cronje, broke wind, and said: "Try hitting that for six."
It was five minutes before the guffawing stopped and play could resume.

Merv Hughes (Australia) and Viv Richards (West Indies):
During a Test match in the West Indies, Hughes didn't say a word to Richards, but continued to stare at him after deliveries. To which Viv Richards said, "This is my island, my culture. Don't you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl."

Merv didn't reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the batsman: "In my culture we just say f--- off."

Robin Smith (England) and Merv Hughes (Australia): During the 1989 Lord's Test, Hughes said to the South Africa-born Smith after he had played and missed: "You can't f--- bat".
Simth smashed the next Hughes delivery to the boundary, then said: "Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can't f--- bat and you can't f--- bowl."
Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Award Winner

Sachin Tendulkar (India) and Abdul Qadir (Pakistan): The year was 1989 and Sachin Tendulkar, who had just made his debut in Pakistan, was sending young leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed running for cover in a tour game, having hit two sixes in one over. Ahmed's frustrated mentor, the legendary Abdul Qadir, challenged Tendulkar, saying, "Bachchon ko kyon mar rahe ho? Hamein bhi maar dikhao ('Why are you hitting kids? Try and hit me').

Tendulkar didn't respond, and since then we have all learnt that he lets his bat do the talking. Qadir had made a simple request and Sachin obliged. He hit four sixes in an over, making the spinner look like the kid in the contest. The over: 6, 0, 4, 6, 6, 6.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Award Winner

Steve Waugh (Australia) and Curtly Ambrose (West Indies): Two legends of cricket came face to face, literally, engrossed in a verbal duel, in a Test match in Trinidad. The full details remained unknown until the former Australia captain revealed them in his autobiography.
Ambrose repeatedly stared Waugh down during a searing spell, and Waugh, who sized up the towering fast bowler, said: "What the f--- are you looking at?"

Ambrose was stunned, because, as Waugh says in his autobiography, "No one had ever been stupid enough" to speak to him like that.
Ambrose glowered, "Don't cuss me, man."

Waugh's response was tame: "Unfortunately, nothing inventive or witty came to mind, rather another piece of personal abuse: 'Why don't you go and get f---'?"

West Indian skipper Richie Richardson had a hard time keeping the giant Ambrose from hurting the Aussie.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Award Winner

Javed Miandad (Pakistan) and Dennis Lillee (Australia): As Miandad played the Australian fast bowler to square leg and set off for an easy run during the Perth Test of 1981, the two collided in the centre.
According to Miandad, Lillee tried to block him during the run. After a verbal exchange, Lillee kicked Miandad on his pads.

Miandad charged at Lillee with his bat lifted high above his head, as if to hit him.
Only the umpire's intervention prevented what could have turned out to be a real assault.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Award Winner

Rodney Marsh (Australia) and Ian Botham (England): Rodney Marsh to Ian Botham in an Ashes Test: "So how's your wife and my kids?"
Botham's reply: "The wife's fine. The kids are retarded!"

Tags
best cricket, sledges

Latest News in Sports News Forum