Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > General Discussion

10 Iconic Photographs by Harry Benson

Views: 4662  
Old 08-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Award Winner

Beatles Pillow Fight, George V Hotel, Paris, 1964

The Beatles, Paris, France, 1964: “It was 3am after a concert at the Olympia in Paris in January 1964. They had so much pent-up energy after a performance, and they really couldn’t go out because they would be mobbed. So we were sitting around talking and drinking. Their manager, Brian Epstein, burst into their suite at the Hotel George V to tell them “I Want to Hold Your Hand” was No. 1 on the American charts, which meant they were going to America to be on ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ … I heard the Beatles talking about a pillow fight they had had a few nights before, so I suggested it. I thought it would make a good photo to celebrate. At first they said OK, but then John said, no, it would make them look silly. Then John slipped up behind Paul and hit him over the head with a pillow, spilling his drink, and that started it.” Harry Benson, Photographer
I included a second Beatles photo by Harry Benson that I actually like more than this one, but the commentary on the pillow fight was too good not to share. This photo shows the Beatles in a more candid moment that you don’t often see.
Award Winner

John Lennon Memorial, Central Park, New York, 1980

Over 250,000 people joined together to share their sorrow for John Lennon’s senseless death. This photo is taken in Central Park December 14, 1980.
Award Winner

James Brown, Augusta, Georgia, 1979

“In Augusta, to photograph James Brown, these pictures were taken when he suggested we go for a ride. He told me he would show me ‘his town.’ So we jumped into an old car and drove around. He would stop the car when he saw someone sitting in their yard, run up, do the split, yell out, ‘I feel good,’ and jump back in the car and drive off. It was all so spontaneous and hilarious, and it took the onlookers by such surprise. Brown was a fun-loving character and a good sport.” Harry Benson, Photographer
I smile just thinking about the fun reactions from the townspeople as James Brown gives a mini-performance for each.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Award Winner

The Clinton Kiss, Little Rock, Arkansas, 1992

“Governor Clinton had announced his candidacy for presidency and this was a quiet moment before the hectic campaign began.” Harry Benson, Photographer
Just thinking about everything that would happen to the Clintons after this photo is amazing. Someone should make a movie.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Award Winner

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Funeral in Atlanta, 1968

This photograph really touched me. While it is tragic that any man should be ******ed or assassinated for his beliefs it is even more tragic that a child should grow up without their father. No child should be have to see a parent in a coffin whether that parent was Martin Luther King, Jr., or anyone else.

Tags
2010, top 10, toppers

Latest News in General Discussion