Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

'I knew I had it in me' - Meghna Malik

Views: 2454  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Award Winner

Default 'I knew I had it in me' - Meghna Malik

Meghna Malik drops the cloak of Ammaji to let us take a closer look at her persona…

If you would've known her better you could've guaranteed a long time back, long before the fever of Ammaji of Colors' Na Aana Is Desh Laado set in, that Meghna Malik doesn't need the packaging called 'Ammaji' for people to love her. Her intelligence and sharpness are enough to magnetise people and enchant them in her magical world of no-nonsense talk and razor sharp wit.
Inspite of having a hectic schedule and requests from every media to get a piece of her, oops a piece on her, Meghna humbly takes time out to talk leisurely with Tellybuzz.

Excerpts from the conversation…
Were you always inclined to acting? Tell us about your journey from an aspiring actor to one of the ruling actors of small screen.
No, I wasn't always into acting because I come from a small town (Sonipath) in Haryana where such things don't occur to you so easily. But yes, I was always taking part in skits, dances…sort of always in the limelight. I did my schooling from two very different kind of schools; one a boarding and a convent - Holy Child School in Sonipath and Motilal Nehru School of Sports in Rai. However, I always had this affiliation with acting…inspite of joining the sports school where more of stress was given to my volleyball and tennis coaching…I sort of somehow found a way everytime to drift towards the stage (laughs).

As a child, you are shaped to dream of things like becoming a doctor or engineer. But right from the start I knew I had it in me- this acting thing. And, I knew I had to give my s**** of acting a serious treatment. I wanted to do what I felt I was best in. So I joined the National School of Drama in New Delhi. After that, I worked as a professional artist with National School of Repertory Company also in New Delhi. Here I worked for around 20-25 plays with directors from India, Polland, Germany…and many other parts of the world.

Then came a point as an actor to explore other arenas, which is when I decided I should enter the medium of cinema or television. So I signed up for Laado. This has been my journey till now.

You worked for so long in theatre, and just a single show catapulted you to a face that the whole nation would recognize. Do you feel the lack of recognition for theatre as a whole in our country is a cause for concern?

Theatre has a limitation when it comes to its reach. Television reaches everyone because TV sets are cheap and the services are very affordable. So yes, every house has a TV or more than 'a TV' in some cases, and I'd like to believe that at 10:30 all of these sets have Laado going on (laughs). But I don't think actors think so much about popularity. For them it's all about personal satisfaction. And to be frank, theatre is more satisfying to me as an actor.

State five major points of differences and similarities between Ammaji and Meghna Malik.

Well, can't say point wise. But Ammaji would never take acting as a profession. Ammaji can't think like Meghna. Ammaji's thoughts are conditioned by the society she lives in whereas Meghna has a mind of her own. For Meghna a girl and a boy are the same and both deserve the right to live and express.

The leadership qualities are same in both. Also the strength in voice and the physical power.

Meghna is more docile than Ammaji and… reasonable too (smiles).

Tell us about your family?
Well I come from a family with two daughters. Me and my sister are the only two doting daughters to our parents. My mother, Kamlesh Malik, is a short story writer, a poetess and a retired school principle.

My father, Dr. R. S. Malik is a retired professor of English literature. My sister is Mimansa Malik and that's about it. My parents have raised us with the strength of soch aur samajh (thinking and understanding).

According to you which are the responsibilities to be taken by and the rights to be given to, all daughters?

Why just daughters, I feel every child should get the right to education. In English there's a saying that 'If a boy treats a girl like a queen it means that he was raised by one'. So I just feel that all our children should be brought up with good values and they should be instilled with a certain amount of liberal thinking so that they grow up to give each other some space.
If it were in your power to completely vanish one evil, superstitious practice of our country which one would you zap?

(Replies in an instant) Ignorance! For sure!!

Kiran Bedi has short hair. Is she the inspiration for your cropped look too? Does it symbolize any of your character traits?

Kiran Bedi is a very grand personality. I can't even compare myself to her! I do take a lot of inspiration from her but my reason for having short hair is completely different (laughs).It could be because it suits my face na? I wish every woman would look upto her for the kind of strength she has and try to be just as strong as her. Kiran Bedi has done a lot for our nation and I respect her!

When you were young and in college, did any boy dare to mess around with you? If yes, how did you handle it? If no then why do you think no one attempted to?

(Laughs) No, none of the boys have dared to mess around with me because they all knew me right since I was a child. We all studied in the same co-ed school and pretty much knew every other person in the school too well to behave in that kind of a manner. The reason could also be that they respect me just as the way I respect them. So there really is no question of anyone trying to act smart or funny with each other.

Which animal or bird do you think can best represent you?
Umm…horse.

Why?!

Maybe because I'm riding on them right now (laughs). But I feel an actor has to bring out certain animal qualities depending upon his character's mood. I get inspired by flowers so can't really say they symbolify me. In fact, you should ask others this question…they'll be able to answer better which animal or bird or flower they see more of in me (laughs).

Is it true that you got paid almost four times than the rest of the contestants of Kitchen Champion because you were the one who sent the TRPs into a frenzy?!

Is it? Am I the one sending their TRPs into a frenzy (laughs)?? You are telling me and I'm knowing it from you…and as for the payment part, personally I haven't kept track of it!

Are you game for a dance reality show now?
Yes! Anytime!!

Recommend us a book, movie and music CD, that have played a very important role in shaping you.
I listen to music depending on my mood. Same for movie and book too. I have actually been shaped and inspired by my parents and school.

Tags
meghna malik

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->