Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > General Discussion

10 most memorable advertisements

Views: 2666  
Old 12-22-2009, 06:54 PM

Default 10 most memorable advertisements

1. SIMPLY DELICIOUS
Amul, 1967 to present
My favourite ad character is the Amul girl because she has been around for so many years and yet there is a freshness and topicality that is appealing. It is a simple ad, but something you look forward to seeing what the Amul girl would be up to next. The character too is very appealing, plus there is all that clever word-play on newsy issues. If Amul recognises you, you have made it.
Meenakshi Madhvani, Managing Partner, Spatial Access Solutions

2. ****ERFLY EFFECT
Ek Titli on national unity, 1977
At that time, anything that was entertaining was such a bonus. The treatment was so new and it brought nostalgia, of our mythical India that we love so much, about grandmothers and mango trees. It was funny, cute and a superb film on national integration. You put it in the middle of the Mumbai carnage and it makes sense. The tune was hummable and people talk about it even today.
Anuja Chauhan, Executive Creative Director and VP, J Walter Thompson

3. RIGHTS IN YOUR FACE
Lalitaji of Surf, 1984
This came out at a time when I was in school and even then I took notice of it. I think it was the first time that I saw a typical portrayal of a middle class, value-conscious and slightly aggressive woman who insisted on getting the right thing. It was much like Doordarshan's crusading Rajni. The actor playing the role of Lalitaji also did a charming job.
Abhijit Avasthi,Executive Creative Director, South Asia, Ogilvy & amp; Mather

3. FRESH AND SOAPY
Liril saop, 1985
It had the ability to make us respond, feel the waterfall and experience the freshness. Besides, the girl was wearing a bikini, which was rare at that time and even rarer today. But there was a certain innocence to it. It was sensual but not in bad taste. It was shown in cinema halls during the interval. We would be out getting popcorn, hear the jingle and then run back to watch it.
Adi Pocha, Ad filmmaker

5. TORCH SONG
The freedom run, 1988
It was a path-finder. I had just graduated when I saw it and it moved me, as an audience and as an advertising professional. These days many celebrities are used, some properly and most of the time, not. But this fantastic use of sports personalities worked on many different levels. It sold an emotion, not a product, and seemed honest.
Sonal Dabral, Chairman, Bates David Enterprise, India

6. BABY, BABY...
Nude models wanted, 1993
This was a print advertisement by Trikaya that I saw. It was a 30 cm ad that just said, Nude models wanted. It was an advertisement for baby models. Communication should arrest you and tell you what it wants and this advertisement did just that. It was attention-getting because there's just no better way to describe a baby.
R. Balki, Ad filmmaker and director of Cheeni Kum

7. RICH TREAT
Cadbury girl dancing on cricket field, 1993
It was a landmark in Indian advertising as it showed that you need not make a confectionery commercial with confectionery, but can also make a commercial about a popular emotion, the kuch khaas hai hum sabhi main emotion.Before this, it would have been all about khuch khaas hai is chocolate main.The advertisement took it to a cerebral level and understood that the audiencewas sharp enough to appreciate an advertisement such as this one.
Prasoon Pandey, Director, Corcoise Films

8. HOT EXPORT
Ericsson's One Black Coffee, 1996
This was a concept perfect for the product and was beautifully enacted. The idea of an older man who thinks that a younger woman is attracted to him is like a dream come true. A dream that shatters soon after. And this was one of those advertisements where Ericsson took the script to other parts of the world. Usually advertisement scripts come here, but this time it travelled outward and was shot in other countries.
Mahesh Mathai, Ad filmmaker, Highlight Films

9. BRIGHT WHITE
Happydent white chewing gum
, 2006
It's not my favourite because I have done it but as it was an advertisement rooted in India and yet connected with the global audience. It also presented a smart face of Indian advertising in the global industry. It also met the objectives of the client. The product was a niche one, a tooth whitening gum, and after the advertisement, the response was such that the client had to install extra machines for the gum. It was an advertisement that was funny and did not take itself too seriously.
Prasoon Joshi, Advertising professional, lyricist and scriptwriter

10. STORY TIME FOLKS
Airtel Digital TV AD, 2008
Airtel, a 1,000-pound gorilla in telecom, was making a late entry into a new category that had two strong operators. It used personalities familiar to the television audience and built a storyline around them. The opulent red armchair and Airtel's theme music binds a common perspective that this brand provides a different service.

Tags
topper

Latest News in General Discussion