Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

Alligator and Crawfish Etouffee Po-Boys - Cajun (Cajun Recipes)

Views: 5056  
Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Award Winner

Default Alligator and Crawfish Etouffee Po-Boys - Cajun (Cajun Recipes)

Prep Time: 30 minutes or less | Cook Time: 1 - 2 hours | Serves: 6
Lunch » Other » Cajun

Ingredients:

Alligator and Crawfish Etouffee Po-Boys

Today, I'll show you how to do some cooking cajun-style. I've lived in south Louisiana all my life, and like all Louisianians, have acquired a taste for the tons of weird but delicious foods that my culture embraces. Foods like these include Nutria Rat, which is surprisingly tasty.

Today, however, I am going to show you how to make an etouffee po-boy. Traditionally, etouffee is served over rice, and is crawfish rather than crawfish and alligator, but we're going to mix things up a little. This etouffee is served on [COLOR=#2B65B0 ! important]bread[/COLOR] with swiss cheese and contains both alligator and crawfish.

This recipe won't make the etouffee very spicy at all, but then again you can't trust a Louisianian telling you that something isn't spicy.

First, we'll start off with an ingredient list. This is enough to make 6 sandwiches which will be around 4" x 6":
2 pounds chopped alligator tail meat (I pay $7.50/lb, so if you can find it it should be around there)
1/2 cup water
Pinch of flour
2 cups chopped bell pepper, I used green, orange, and yellow
1 cup yellow onion
1 cup green onion
2 tablespoons parsley
1/2 cup lemon juice
Garlic to taste, minced
Cajun [COLOR=#2B65B0 ! important]seasoning[/COLOR] such as Tony Chachere's (pronounced Satch-Er-Ay) or Savoire's (pronounced Sav-Wa). Tony's, as we call it down here, is the more popular of the two, and in my opinion is also the better of the two.
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 Tsp of hot sauce such as Tabasco
1/2 pound crawfish tail meat
6 slices Swiss cheese
1/2 cup (1/2 stick) ****er
a bit of Chardonnay
2 loaves of Italian bread (po-boys are traditionally french bread)

Herb ****er
1 cup (2 sticks) ****er
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons parsley
1 tsp lemon juice
Garlic (minced) to taste

Let's get to cookin'

The pile of white meat in the middle is 2 lbs of Louisiana Alligator meat. I was going to get fresh crawfish tails instead of packaged, but hurricane Rita really put a hitch in my area's normally abundant crawfish farming.

I obtained the meat from a place near me called Hebert's Specialty Meats, which happens to be where the world-famous Turducken was invented. The Turducken is a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken. The alligator meat ran me $15 for 2 lbs.

I tried to get my meat from a local alligator farm, as it would have probably been cheaper, but they wouldn't answer the phone.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Award Winner

Step 1:

Here's a close-up of the alligator meat. If you get meat which has a greyish or whitish membrane on it, make sure to remove all of this. Mine seemed to have been pre-removed. Alligator has a really weird texture when raw, it almost feels like what you'd imagine human meat to feel like.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Award Winner

Step 2:

Melt the ingredients of the Herb ****er in a s****et, and sautee the alligator meat in this for approximately 2 minutes on each side. You want the meat to be a uniform white color throughout.
Award Winner

Step 3:

This is what the meat looked like after it was cooked. The reason it is brown and not white is because the garlic in with the ****er will brown and also turned the ****er brown along with it. My first piece came out perfectly white.
Award Winner

Step 4:

Combine ****er, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. You may also want to add some salt and pepper. Sauté until tender, then add cajun spices, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, parsley, and garlic. Add water and flour then bring to a simmer.

Tags
recipe

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum