Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

Mandarin Orange Cheesecake (Cheesecake Recipes)

Views: 6006  
Old 02-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Award Winner

Default Mandarin Orange Cheesecake (Cheesecake Recipes)

Prep Time: 1 - 2 hours | Cook Time: 3+ hours | Serves: 12
Dessert » Cheesecakes » American

Ingredients:

There is no flour in this recipe. The downside is that it takes longer to cook. A lot longer. From start to finish, with preparation, baking, and cooling, you'll need almost four hours. It is most definitely worth it.

I have made two of these now, and each time I've been told by the people who tasted it that this was the best cheesecake they had ever tasted. And I live in the Philly/NJ/New York area, so there's plenty of good cheesecake around. The orange flavor is subtle, but noticable. If you'd prefer to make the cheesecake without it, just omit all the steps related to anything orange-flavored, and the food coloring (which is optional anyway, but a nice touch).

You'll want:

- A Springform cake pan, 10" wide by 3" tall
- Aluminum foil
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Whisk
- Hand Mixer
- Grater
- Your favorite chef's knife

If you don't have a springform pan, get one. It's almost essential for cheesecake making, because it's about the only way you'll get it out of the pan intact. If you don't want to buy one, use a normal cake pan, and line the bottom with a round piece of parchment paper, and the sides with a strip of parchment paper.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Award Winner

Step 1:

Ingredients:

- 24 oz (3 pkgs) Cream Cheese
- Graham Crackers
- 6 tbsp (3/4 stick) ****er
- 1 cup Sugar (for cake)
- 3 tbsp Sugar (for crust)
- 3 Eggs
- 1-3/4 cups Sour Cream
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Zest of one Orange
- 3 tbsp Orange Juice Concentrate
- Food coloring (optional)

If you'd like to make the Mandarin Orange topping, you'll also need:

- 2 cans (11 oz each) Mandarin Orange Slices in light syrup
- 1/4 cup Apricot Jam
- 1 tbsp Orange Juice (use your concentrate for this)
Old 02-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Award Winner

Step 2:

First, set your oven to 300 degrees. Then, cube up your cream cheese (this is the only thing you'll need the knife for) and set it aside in your large work bowl. Doing this first will give it a chance to soften. You can even place the work bowl in a larger bowl or pan with warm water in it to help things along.

Also, place the orange juice concentrate in a bowl of hot water to help it thaw.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Award Winner

Step 3:

Next, prepare the springform pan by crossing two sheets of aluminum foil over the insert. Rub the foil flat over the insert, fold it over the edges, and put the insert into the rest of the pan. Then fold the foil up the edges (but not over into the pan). This will help prevent leakage, and make removal of the cake much easier.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Award Winner

Step 5:

And crush them mercilessly (until fine). You can use your hands (but it'll take a while) or a rolling pin (if you've got one) or a glass bottle (like me).

Add the 3 tbsp of Sugar, and shake until well mixed. If you have a food processor, by the way, these two steps could be done in there. I like the bag method.

Tags
recipe

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum