Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 1000 Recipes (Photos+Full Details)

Views: 64640  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 AM

Banana, Strawberry, and Orange Muffins

I made these for breakfast recently and they were a huge hit with my family, especially my husband who ate four in one sitting. I had some strawberries and bananas that really needed to be used up and I thought some orange juice and zest would make these muffins extra delicious - I was right. The strawberries were a bit tart so I sliced them up then added 1 tablespoon of sugar to them then mixed until evenly coated; I let them sit for 15 minutes until they sweetened up. These muffins were super simple to make and made my entire family very happy... you can't beat that!

Banana, Strawberry, and Orange Muffins:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup ****er, melted
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tbsp fresh orange juice (1 used one orange)
  • 1 1/2 cups of strawberries, sliced (add a bit of sugar if they are tart)
  • 1 tbsp grated orange zest, divided
  • 3 tbsp sugar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 tablespoon of orange zest together in a small bowl.

Using an electric mixer, beat together the bananas, eggs, brown sugar, melted ****er, fresh orange juice, and vanilla until well blended. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined then carefully add 1 cup of sliced strawberries and gently mix together. Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Sprinkle the remaining strawberries evenly over the tops of each muffin, making sure to push them down a bit.

Combine the sugar and remaining tablespoon of orange zest together and sprinkle evenly on top of each muffin.

Place into the oven and bake for 25-27 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for a few minutes. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I hope you all have a festive, fun, and safe St. Patrick's Day! Here are a few recipes to help you make your day a little more tasty. Cheers!!

Corned Beef, Sautéed Cabbage, and Roasted Potatoes and Carrots ~ The perfect St. Patrick's Day meal.

Cottage Pie ~ Hearty, filling, and totally comforting.

Beef and Barley Stew ~ Perfect for a cold and rainy day... this stew will warm you right up.

Potato Leek Soup ~ No St. Patrick's Day is complete without potatoes. This soup is light, filling, and delicious.

Corned Beef Hash ~ A great way to use up that extra corned beef.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM

Shredded Pork and Caramelized Onion Tostada

I had leftover shredded pork from the enchiladas that I couldn't wait to use again. Did I happen to mention on the last post that this was the BEST shredded pork I have ever made? It was so tender, juicy, and flavorful - I couldn't get enough. Anyway, I decided to make a tostada for lunch using the shredded pork and caramelized onions. I loved the tender pork with the sweetened onions and crisp tortilla - it was the perfect combination of flavors and textures. This tostada was so delicious I made it for lunch the following day too.

Shredded Pork and Caramelized Onion Tostada:
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, sliced thickly
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • Corn tortilla
  • Refried beans
  • Shredded pork
  • Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • Mixed greens
  • G**** tomatoes, sliced
  • Green onions
  • Sour cream

Heat the olive oil in a s****et over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Season with sea salt, to taste. Remove from the pan and set aside. Coat the same s****et with cooking spray and add the corn tortilla. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the s****et.

Heat the refried beans and leftover shredded pork in the microwave until hot. Spread the beans on the crisp tortilla, then add the shredded pork followed by some shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Next add the mixed greens, sour cream, tomatoes, green onions, and a little more cheese. Serve with your favorite salsa and eat immediately. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM

Shredded Pork and Monterey Jack Cheese Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I picked up a pork shoulder at the grocery store recently and decided to make a big batch of shredded pork. I simply seasoned it with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, and coriander. I seared the meat on medium high heat then cooked it low and slow in the oven with some chicken broth, chopped garlic, chopped cilantro, and chopped Anaheim pepper for 6 hours, until it was tender and shredded easily. The pork was so fantastic! It had a wonderful flavor and was really tender and juicy. I used the shredded pork to make enchiladas with a bit of Monterey jack cheese and homemade enchilada sauce. They were some of the best enchiladas I have ever made!

Shredded Pork and Monterey Jack Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce:
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • Pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Cumin, to taste
  • Garlic powder, to taste
  • Coriander, to taste
  • Dried oregano, to taste
  • 2 cups of chicken broth
  • Handful of cilantro, chopped
  • 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped

Side note: I didn't measure the seasonings (sorry). I just sprinkled them all over the pork shoulder evenly.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Heat the olive oil a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Season the pork shoulder, to taste, evenly on all sides. Once the pan is hot, sear the pork shoulder on all sides for 4-5 minutes or until it has a golden brown crust. Add the chicken broth, cilantro, garlic, and Anaheim pepper to the Dutch oven. Cover with a lid and place into the oven for 3 hours. Turn the pork shoulder over and cook for an additional 2-3 hours or until the pork shoulder shreds easily and is very tender and juicy. Remove as much of the fat as possible then shred the meat with two forks. Set aside.

Remaining Ingredients:
  • Corn tortillas
  • Monterey Jack cheese
  • Enchilada sauce
  • Sour cream
  • Green onion, diced

Wet a dishcloth or several paper towels and ring out. Place the corn tortillas inside and cook them in the microwave for 60-90 seconds until soft and pliable. Coat the baking dish with cooking spray then pour some enchilada sauce over the bottom. Take a corn tortilla and spoon shredded pork along the center then roll and place into the pan. Repeat until finished. Add the rest of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Top with cheese then cover with tinfoil and place into the oven.

Bake for 25 minutes then remove the tinfoil and continue to bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with green onions. Serve with sour cream. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Red Enchilada Sauce

I found this Bobby Flay recipe in the October 2010 Food Network Magazine. I've never been a fan of canned enchilada sauce so I was excited to give this recipe a try. I adapted the recipe a bit by using less oil, less chili powder, adding coriander, and using less honey. It was thick and so flavorful! My daughter thought it was "okay" but the rest of us thought it was FANTASTIC. It was so simple to make and it tastes so much better than canned sauce. This sauce would be wonderful on enchiladas, tacos, and huevos rancheros.
Red Enchilada Sauce:

Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Bobby Flay - Food Network Magazine
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp chile powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp honey

Heat the canola oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the minced garlic, chile powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano then stir constantly for 1 minute. Add tomatoes (crushed by hand) and juice. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste and add the honey then cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes.

After the sauce has simmered for 30 minutes, blend the sauce with an immersion blender (or regular blender) until smooth. Taste and re-season if needed. Enjoy.

Tags
food, photos, recipes, top 1000

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum