Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Film Entertainment Forum

Aamir Khan wins the West over

Views: 1889  
Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Award Winner

Default Aamir Khan wins the West over

Conquers Avatar and other holiday releases in US and UK.
PS: Also bests his own top-grosser, Ghajini

Aamir Khan has bettered his own record with 3 Idiots. Rajkumar Hirani's film has surpassed the collections of Ghajini -- which was Aamir's biggest grosser in 2008.

But what's of even more interest is the fact that the overseas territory -- not traditionally considered Aamir's domain as the other Khan --Shah Rukh -- dominates, 3 Idiots reigns abroad as well.

Bettered the mark
In UK, which is not Mr Perfectionist's market at all, 3 Idiots reached the mark of Karan Johar's Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna; that too during the Christmas weekend as most theatres are shut and business was for only two days last week.

3 Idiots' paid previews garnered over Rs 9 crore gross worldwide; this is above Ghajini's paid previews collection of Rs 7 crore gross worldwide.
Till Monday night, the weekend collection of 3 Idiots was over Rs 100 crore gross worldwide -- about 30 per cent more than Ghajini's collections.

Says Aamir, "I am very moved and humbled by the response to 3i. I have never heard such superlatives before. And never before has it happened that whoever has seen the film wants to see it again and again. It seems to have touched a chord very deep in our hearts and soul. I feel blessed to be part of this film."

Adds producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra, "The response has been overwhelming from all over the world. Aamir, Raju and I knew from the responses earlier on that people liked the film but this is something else. We have got reports from places like Australia that they have reduced Avatar shows and increased ours. 3 Idiots is the highest grossing Hindi film ever in Australia on its opening weekend. Similarly in US, I have been given to understand that 3 Idiots would be highest ever for a Hindi film."

40 The number of countries 3 Idiots released

Number of prints
3 Idiots released with a maximum number of prints -- the highest ever for a Hindi film. In India 1,550 prints in over 1,760 screens and overseas 342 prints in over 366 screens -- this is the widest release any Hindi film has had in India and overseas.

Tags
amir khan

Latest News in Film Entertainment Forum