Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

Sweet and Sour Pork (Chinese Recipes)

Views: 4236  
Old 02-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Award Winner

Default Sweet and Sour Pork (Chinese Recipes)

Prep Time: 30 minutes or less | Cook Time: 30 minutes or less | Serves: 1
Dinner » Pork » Chinese

Ingredients:

A wok (A frying pan might work, but I wouldn't want to try it) My wok cost $13, just go get one.
Ketchup
White vinegar
Pineapple chunks
1/2 a bell papper (Original recipe called for both green and red, but I was feeling cheap. You might try 1/4 each of both kinds)
Pork shoulder- As much as you feel like eating, keep in mind that it always feels like more when it's done than when you're cutting the meat up, so don't overdo it. The sauce in this recipe is enough for probably 1-4 servings.
Tabasco sauce
1 egg (maybe more for a large batch)
Chicken powder
Corn starch
Sugar
Lots of vegetable or other oil
Salt
Ketchup

Not a short list, but you probably have most of it, and none of the ingredients are too pricy. If you've got everything, it'll cost you about $5 for large meal-sized portion.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Award Winner

Step 1:

Okay, first, cut your meat up into bite-sized pieces. You can cut the fat off, but don't kid yourself that you can make this a healty recipe.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Award Winner

Step 2:

Next, get a container that you can marinate with. Beat the egg in it and mix in-
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. Chicken powder
Dump the meat in and make sure it all gets coated. This stuff doesn't add a lot of flavor, so don't worry if the meat isn't exactly submerged, the main point is to get it all wet.

Throw it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so. You can do more if you like, but I don't think it'll add much.
Award Winner

Step 3:

While you wait, you might as well go ahead and mix up the sauce-
4 Tbs. white vinegar
2 Tbs. water
2 Tbs. ketchup
5 Tbs. sugar (yeah, I know)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TEASPOON or so of corn starch. You can change this to adjust the consistency of the sauce, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you're doing since you won't be able to tell what the final product will look like until you heat it. The first time I made this I think I accidentally used a tablespoon, and when the sauce cooled off a bit it got kind of congealed and nasty.

Really, don't worry that it doesn't look anything like a decent sauce, I was somewhat suspicious the first time I tried it too. Don't worry if it has what looks like "chunks" of ketchup, that will be taken care of. Get all the cornstarch lumps out, though.

Around the time the meat is finished marinating, go ahead and set your stove on the highest heat, and maybe put your wok on there.
Award Winner

Step 4:

Dump a bunch of cornstarch in something and roll the meat in it. You don't have to do it until you can't see any pink, but just try to make sure you get every side fairly well coated.

Tags
recipe

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum