Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 1000 Recipes (Photos+Full Details)

Views: 64723  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:53 AM

Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole

I won't be cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year because we are heading to a friend's house to enjoy her amazing cooking. I decided since I wouldn't be cooking a turkey feast to share with you all, I could at least cook some of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes to share.

I'll admit it... I love the green bean casserole using canned soup and French's onions. I wanted to make a homemade version of this classic holiday side dish. When looking at recipes in cookbooks and on the web, I noticed they all made this casserole with at least 6 tablespoons of ****er and whole milk. I decided to try making it a little bit healthier while still keeping it delicious. It was fun to create this recipe and it tasted wonderful, we all loved it except for my son. When I asked him why he didn't like it he said "I just didn't". Oh well... you can't please them all. I loved this recipe and thought it tasted way better than the canned soup version. This will be on my table for future holiday dinners.

Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 16 oz fresh green beans, ends trimmed
  • 1 tsp + 2 tbsp ****er (divided)
  • 8 oz ****on mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 shallot, sliced thinly
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 cup of milk (I used non fat)
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • French's fried onions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.

Blanch the green beans in a pot of boiling water for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Strain the green beans and rinse them under cold water to stop them from cooking.

Heat one teaspoon of ****er in a s****et over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and cook, without stirring for 2-3 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Add the shallot to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the minced garlic to the s****et and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Season with a bit of sea salt, to taste. Remove the mushroom mixture from the s****et to a bowl and set aside.

Place the s****et back on the stove and add the 2 tablespoons of ****er, once it has melted, add the flour and stir for 30 seconds. Add the milk to the flour mixture and whisk until thick and creamy without and any lumps. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Add the green beans and mushrooms to the mixture and toss to coat evenly. Place the green bean mixture into the casserole dish and cover with a lid.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle generously with French's fried onions. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the onions are golden brown. Be careful - the onions burn quickly. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Enjoy.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:53 AM

Tomato Tian

Here's another wonderful side dish for the holidays. I love making Vegetable Tian but this time I decided to keep it all about the tomatoes. I picked up some beautiful yellow tomatoes at the store recently and decided to make a tian using them along with some Roma tomatoes I already had on hand. I topped the baked tomatoes with shredded Parmesan cheese and Italian flavored panko as well as fresh chopped basil. This dish was easy to make and it tasted delicious.

Tomato Tian:
  • 4 firm yellow tomatoes
  • 4 firm red tomatoes (I used Roma)
  • Drizzle of olive oil
  • Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • Italian flavored panko crumbs
  • Fresh basil, chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a circular baking dish with cooking spray.

Slice the tomatoes into thick slices then layer them alternately in the baking dish, fitting them into a tight spiral, making only one layer. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste then drizzle them with a bit of olive oil.

Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the oven to broil. Sprinkle the tomatoes with Parmesan cheese and panko crumbs then place under the broiler, on the middle rack, for 1-2 minutes or until the panko crumbs are golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with freshly chopped basil. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 AM

Roasted Yams with Maple, Dried Cranberries and Pecans

This side dish is so delicious! The combination of the soft yams with the crunchy pecans, tart cranberries, and sweet maple is wonderful. I love how easy it is to make and that it has very little clean up. This is a new favorite holiday side dish.

Roasted Yams with Maple, Dried Cranberries, and Pecans:
  • Drizzle of olive oil
  • 2-3 yams, peeled and large dice
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
  • 1-2 tbsp dried cranberries
  • 1-2 tbsp pecan pieces
  • 1 tbsp real maple syrup
  • 2 tsp ****er, melted

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking tray with tin foil then coat with cooking spray. Place the diced yam on the baking sheet then drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.
Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until yam is fork tender. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the roasted yam into the baking dish followed by the dried cranberries and pecan pieces. Mix the melted ****er and maple syrup together then drizzle on top of the yam mixture, toss to coat. Cover with tin foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 5 minutes. Taste and drizzle with more syrup if needed. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 AM

Herb Dinner Rolls

I recently saw a recipe for herb dinner rolls on my friend Marjie's site which inspired me to make these rolls. I used my Mom's Dinner Roll recipe and added some fresh basil, fresh parsley, and a bit of dried oregano to make these extremely delicious dinner rolls. They were so flavorful with the added herbs and a huge hit with my dinner guests. These rolls will make your holiday dinner extra special.

Herb Dinner Rolls:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking
Inspired by Marjie at Modern Day Ozzie and Harriet
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 tbsp of ****er, softened
  • 1 egg (hold under warm water before breaking it)
  • 3 1/4 cup of bread flour
  • 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp regular active dry yeast
Place all dough ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed. Select the dough cycle and press start. Once the bread machine stops (it was one and a half hours on my machine). Grease a cookie sheet. Divide dough into 15 pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Brush with ****er then cover with a cloth.
Let the dough rise in a warm place 30 to 4o minutes or until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves

I picked up a tub of lump crab meat recently so I decided use some of it to make a quick and delicious salad to put into avocado halves. I found a recipe on Epicurious that looked simple and delicious. I tossed the crab with a bit of lime, cilantro, light mayonnaise, and red onion. The crab salad tasted so good with the creamy avocado. My husband and I both enjoyed this dish and I look forward to making it again.

Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking
Original recipe on Epicurious
  • 1/2 cup lump crab meat
  • 1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tsp red onion, diced finely
  • 1-2 tsp jalapeño, diced finely
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • Juice from 1/2 a lime
  • Dash of cumin
  • 1 avocado, cut in half, pit removed

Combine the lump crab meat, mayonnaise, cilantro, red onion, jalapeño, lime zest, lime juice, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and cumin together. Spoon the crab mixture into each avocado half and serve immediately. Enjoy.

Tags
food, photos, recipes, top 1000

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum