Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

Roast Leg of Lamb - African Cucumber Salad (German Recipes)

Views: 4007  
Old 02-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Award Winner

Default Roast Leg of Lamb - African Cucumber Salad (German Recipes)

Prep Time: 30 minutes or less | Cook Time: 2 - 3 hours | Serves: 8
Dinner » Lamb » German

Ingredients:

1 Leg of Lamb - I bought the upper part only, but you could cook the shank at risk of uneven cooking.
MEAT THERMOMETER (lamb dries out really quickly!)
1 - 2 Cups Beef or Veal stock
1 Cup Yogurt
1 Large White Onion
2 Medium Tomatoes
1 Cucumber
1 Bunch Parsely Minced
3 Tbsp Ground Cumin
2 Tbsp Ground Coriander
1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary Minced
1 Sprig Fresh Thyme Minced
6 Cloves Garlic Minced
1 Sprig Mint, or 1 tbsp dried mint.
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
Vegetable Oil.
2 Tbsp ****er / Ghee
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Dry White Wine
Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

Old 02-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Award Winner

Step 1:

To begin with, prep the lamb by removing any silverskin, membranes, or excess fat. - Note, do not remove the fat that covers the entire back side of the roast. Preheat oven to 400F
Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Award Winner

Step 2:

Cut half inch grooves all around the roast, which will allow the flavors of the seasoning to penetrate, and the fat on the back to render.
Award Winner

Step 3:

Mix 1 Tbsp cumin, a Tsp or two of ground pepper, Rosemary, Thyme, 4 Cloves garlic, and pat the entire roast down, working seasonings into the grooves. After, salt the entire roast with a reasonable amount of salt. Set in roasting pan on top of a grill rack of some sort. I had no such rack, so I innovated and used two whisks to support the roast. (This is really important, you want the roast off the pan both for drippings and even browning of the roast!) Also, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil.
Award Winner

Step 4:

Meanwhile, begin prepping the first of the "two ways", a Indian / Middle Eastern yogurt based dip. Melt 2tbsp of ****er in a saucepan over high heat. I happened to have Ghee and absolutely love the subtle sweet aroma it imparts to everything, so I used it, and it defenitely shone through in the dip. But, not necessicary. Once Ghee is shimmering or ****er is bubbling, throw in 1 Tbsp both cumin and coriander, and cook for several seconds. Do not let it burn! After several seconds, remove from heat and dump directly in a bowl with 1 cup yogurt along with remaining 2 cloves minced garlic. Mince some of the mint, and throw that in too. Mince about 2 tbsp white onion, and add to bowl as well. Grind a decent portion of pepper into the sauce, and add salt to taste. It can be a little "over" salty, as it is a sauce for the lamb.

Check your roast. Make sure nothing horrible is happening, like it turning black. If it looks dry at all, baste it with its own juices / more olive oil.

Tags
recipe

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum