Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

Koffee with Karan Season 3 (Photos/Videos/Full Details)

Views: 4075  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 10-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Default Koffee with Karan Season 3 (Photos/Videos/Full Details)

He’s back to having coffee and conversation and a third season of his chat show on Star World. Koffee with Karan goes on air on November 7, 9 pm. Known mostly for his chat show s****s than his primary identity of a director, Karan Johar who also does many things else loves to chat up his celebrity friends. Ask him if he’s repeating guests from his earlier two seasons and he says, “But there are just 40 people in the industry! You have got to repeat them.”

The first episode will feature Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and her better half and going by the glimpses of it, there are hardly any ‘secrets revealed’ (the marketing plug the channel is using). The Bachchan couple is known to be boringly diplomatic. How easy or difficult was it to get them talking? “Well, Abhishek is a dear friend and Aishwarya is a global entity just as the show is pretty global. I know the dynamics of privacy and I am not here to offend my guests or make them uncomfortable. There is a certain line I have to follow. I didn’t ask them questions I knew would make them uncomfortable. It was their first interview together since their marriage three years back and that in itself was good for me. I share a very casual and close relationship with them. I knew certain things were out of bounds for me but that’s fine as I said I am not here to offend anyone.”

As for the ‘secrets’, KJo says it’s a marketing strategy of the channel and if at all anyone has spilled the most beans, it’s him. “My mom is going to find out a lot of things about me! I have spoken a lot of rubbish on the show,” says the host-cum-director-cum-producer who likes his coffee milky and sweet.

Ask him if his guests ever call him up after the episode and request to edit a particular portion and he says, “Oh yes and understandably so. You know, they say a lot of things at the spur of the moment and I understand that. Why, at times I have called them up and said, ‘Listen, I don’t think you should be saying this on TV, can I edit it? Because as I said, I am not here to enter into anyone’s private lives, not her to sort out issues or mend bridges between two people.”

So he would rather not think of bringing Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan together or Salman and Katrina Kaif together. Even Aamir Khan who he’s reportedly being friendly with and seen with having lunches, has not yet won his confidence completely to agree for a conversation over ‘koffee’.

Though he says, “I would go down on my knees to have someone on my show but if they are not comfortable, there is not much I can do.”

And so he hopes to have ‘koffee’ someday with dear friend Kajol’s reticent husband, Ajay Devgn.

Quiz him if his stars are better behaved on the show because they know they are dealing with Karan Johar, an influential producer-director and he shakes his head. “Not true at all. They are well behaved anyways. Yes, but they are better looking on my show for sure,” he says, wryly.

Johar had tried doing another chat show type for good friend Aditya Chopra for a Sony show. But that hardly worked. “I don’t know what went wrong there though must say we never aimed it to be like a Koffee with Karan show, it was more a nobility based show. It was more serious, more philanthropic. It was an endeavour to change lives. The show went beyond just getting a star and chatting them up.”

Finally, every newspaper, channel etc has space dedicated exclusively to films and film stars. His show has enjoyed two seasons and still counting, what is it about the Hindi film industry that still seems to attract the audience? “I would say they get that voyeuristic pleasure when they see someone chatting up a Bollywood star, like a fly on the wall overhearing a lounge chat. The way you would watch a Bigg Boss…”

Candid Karan

On Ram Gopal Varma
“I think till the time I move on to another director the media will keep talking about the two of us having back and forth arguments via the media.”

On Sonam Kapoor and Deepika Padukone shooting together for an episode
“The young stars today are more cool, comfortable and civil. Though must say, two actresses can never be friends.”

On who he thinks is the ‘Khan for all seasons’
“Shah Rukh Khan”

On one guest he didn’t know what to expect from
Rakhi Sawant. I didn’t know what I was getting into. She is a fabulous guest though can’t say if she is cut out to be a host.”

One star he definitely wants to have ‘koffee’ with
“Rajnikanth! He is a legend. He is God and I hear he is averse to the idea of giving interviews but will definitely try to get him on my show.”

On his favourite episode
“Got to be one with the Kapoor family. It was like a ‘Kapoor Chat Show’. I wasn’t asking them anything, they were just talking with each other. I loved being part of it. They were the most happy, lovable, warm people I had ever met.”

About the Show:
  • Koffee with Karan is an Indian talk show on Star World India hosted by film producer, actor and director Karan Johar.
  • First airing on 19 November 2004, it is the second longest-running talk show after Phool Khile Hain Gulshan Gulshan in Indian television.
  • The show concluded its sixth season on 17 March 2019
  • What happens when Bollywood’s top four directors sit down to chat over some coffee? They talk movies, obviously! But when the cup of coffee is served in Karan Johar’s den, secrets come tumbling out.
Format, Overview:
  • Koffee with Karan is produced by Fazila Allana and Kamna Nirula Menezes. The producers were involved with the Star Parivaar Awards in 2004 and approached Karan Johar about hosting the event. He declined the offer, stating "I don't mind anchoring a show, but I'd rather it was a chat show." The idea was pitched to the heads of Star India who, impressed with Johar's hosting s****s at the first Zee Cine Awards, ordered the show without a pilot.
  • According to the producers, the concept of the show revolves around "spilling the beans while having a hot cuppa." They have stated that Johar is "the brain behind the show" and that he "sits on everything".
  • About hosting a television chat show, Johar says, "I chat all the time, on the phone, at parties. I decided, might as well get paid for all the talking".
Success, TRP, Reviews:
  • The show quickly became popular, becoming the number one show for Star World India in 2005. Only Zee Café's syndication of Friends beat Koffee with Karan in ratings in 2005. This meant that the talk show was the top Indian English language television show that year.
  • Originally targeted at the 15–34 years age group, the show found approval from outside that range of viewers. The popularity prompted Star India to relaunch the show on Star One in 2005 and in later seasons, simulcast on it altogether.
  • Koffee with Karan is noted for its uniqueness, especially that of Johar's style of hosting. Its success is credited, in particular, to the fact that it is able to "rope in some of [the] biggest names in the Indian entertainment industry".
  • Most of his guests Johar considers his friends and he mentions that due to that relationship, he has to "strike a balance between being over-cautious and over-friendly".
  • In what is called his "trademark chatty manner", Johar is seen "coaxing [the guests], cajoling them and grilling them" and it is indeed "their confessions and revelations" that generate the most media attention.
  • Specifically the rapid fire segment of the show has garnered the most notoriety, being dubbed "infamous" for the statements made during the round which are often revealing
Regular segments, Rounds of Interviews/Chat:
  • Rapid Fire: The segment includes a rapid-fire Q and A with Johar asking each guest a similar set of questions. Guests are encouraged to speak their mind and make the answers "rapid and full of fire". While no score is shown to the guests or the public, slow answers and/or passing on answering a question is usually penalised. The winner of the Rapid Fire round is given a gift hamper which includes personalised roasted coffee, a Koffee mug, some edible items like cookies and candies, and some electronic gadgets. Additionally, in season 6, the Answer of the Season award was introduced with the winner, to be announced at the end of the season, receiving an Audi A5 Sportback as an incentive for guests to be wittier in their answers. While the segment is the most anticipated by the fans, it has gained infamy among guests and in the media because it "often brings out the irreverent side of the [guests]".
  • Opinions: Often the show featured this segment which allowed the guests to the hear the opinions of others. Opinions could come from the public and/or other Bollywood personalities. Unlike the Rapid Fire, Opinions did not have a regular time slot in a given episode and could be featured at any point during it. The regular segment became recurring by the run of season 4. A similar segment, titled Friends Like These, was introduced in season 6 which features people close to each guest describing the guest and/or sharing an anecdote about them.
  • Koffee Quiz: Introduced in season 4, in this segment, Johar asks a mix of Bollywood-based and general knowledge questions to his guests, who go head to head against each other. Each right answer is awarded a point and, at the end of the round, the winner gets a uniquely-wrapped gift. In season 4, buzzers decided which guest gets to answer a question but was replaced in season 5 with noises made by each guest. The game was revamped for season 6 with the introduction of a "gaming zone" - a separate section on the show's set positioned behind the couch area; buzzers were brought back which are mounted on two podiums facing each other. The Koffee Quiz is regularly featured following the Rapid Fire round, at the end of the show, except for episodes featuring only a single guest.
All Season Winners:
  1. Season 1: Koffee with Karan premiered on 19 November 2004 with guests Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol, the lead pair from Johar's, at the time, two directorial ventures, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham.
  2. The show aired at 10 PM every Friday until 27 March 2005 with the exception of New Year's Eve and 25 February. Shah Rukh Khan made his third appearance (second as the featured guest) in the season finale alongside Amitabh Bachchan, another co-star from Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. Additional guests for the finale included Kajol, Jaya Bachchan, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Farhan Akhtar, and Farah Khan.
  3. Season 2 began airing on 11 February 2007. Broadcast of the show was changed to the 9 PM Sunday slot and it was simulcasted on Star One alongside Star World. For the 15th episode of the season, Hollywood actor Richard Gere appeared as the sole guest. The season wrapped up on 16 September 2007 with introduction of the Koffee Awards.
  4. By May 2010, it was confirmed that season 3 was set to air that year. Initially reported to air in July or August, season 3 premiered on 7 November 2010 with guests Aishwarya Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan. Indian tennis player, Mahesh Bhupathi, appeared alongside his, then-fiancé and now, wife Lara Dutta. He is the first ever sports personality to be featured on the show. The Koffee Awards was brought back for the season 3 finale which aired on 17 April 2011.
  5. 8 September 2013, Karan Johar told IANS, "Koffee With Karan will be on air in December. I will start shooting for it in December". Later that month, Salman Khan was confirmed to make his debut in the season premiere which aired on 1 December 2013. The premiere also saw the appearance of Khan's father, veteran screenwriter Salim Khan, who joined him halfway through in the episode. Along with Khan, many other established Bollywood celebrities appeared for the first time this season. They include Aamir Khan, Kiran Rao, Akshay Kumar, Emraan Hashmi, Mahesh Bhatt, Anurag Kashyap, Juhi Chawla, and Rohit Shetty. While the show has retained its 9 PM Sunday slot since the second season, the 14th episode of season 4, featuring India-born Hollywood actress Freida Pinto and Nargis Fakhri, was moved to the 11 PM slot reportedly due to the channel's view that the content "was too bold for prime time viewing". Several celebrities who were regulars in the past, including Rani Mukerji, Hrithik Roshan, Saif Ali Khan, Sanjay Dutt, Ekta Kapoor, John Abraham, and Lara Dutta, did not appear in season 4 with the most notable absence being that of Shah Rukh Khan.[26] Both Khan and Saif Ali Khan have since appeared on the show in the following season.
  6. While replying to his followers' tweets on 6 March 2016, Johar revealed that season 5 will be back later that year. On 6 October, Johar confirmed the first episode will air on 6 November 2016 at its usual time slot. Going back to tradition, the season premiered with Shah Rukh Khan as the featured guest who was joined by Alia Bhatt, both having recently worked on Dear Zindagi of which Johar was a producer. Twinkle Khanna made her first appearance on the show in season 5, appearing alongside her husband Akshay Kumar. Veteran actor Jackie Shroff also made his debut this season; he came on in the 13th episode along with his son, actor Tiger Shroff. Indian tennis player Sania Mirza appeared in the 14th episode, becoming the second sports personality to be on the show. The Koffee Awards, which were not given out in season 4, was brought back and aired as the penultimate episode of the season with the finale, a best of episode, being aired on 19 March 2017.
  7. On 24 April 2018, Johar confirmed season 6 to be out in 2018 breaking the usual trend of a season every three years. On 18 August, Johar tweeted that the season premiere will air on 21 October 2018. On 21 October, the sixth season premiered with Deepika Padukone and Alia Bhatt as guests. In the third episode, Johar competed against guest Aamir Khan in the rapid fire round, while Malaika Arora appeared as a guest judge. The 10th episode, featuring Prabhas, S. S. Rajamouli and Rana Daggubati from Baahubali, marked the first time stars from Tollywood, the Telugu film industry, appeared on the show. K. L. Rahul and Hardik Pandya, who appeared on 12th episode, were the first two cricket players to have appeared on the show. On 11 January 2019, the streaming platform of Star India, Hotstar, removed the episode from their site due to comments made by Pandya during the episode, which were considered "crass, racist, ***ist and cringe-worthy" by fans; additionally, Star World India removed all promotional content for the episode from their social media pages
Koffee Awards:
  • For the finale of season 2, Karan Johar introduced the Koffee Awards. The "best performers of the season" are felicitated by the awards show, which also "encapsulates the best snippets and quotes from all [the] guests".
  • The awards have since also been given out in seasons 3 and 5. The Koffee award comes in the form of a golden cup and saucer and the winners are chosen by a jury of personalities from the Hindi film industry.
Koffee with Karan Controversies:

• Karan Johar and his journey of filmmaking is like a dream come true, and he has had a fascinating time churning the kind of stories that he has always loved to!! Success has always been a forte of Karan Johar with respect to his films. As an actor, Karan Johar hit the peak of success with his chat show with celebrities Koffee With Karan. Karan and his enigmatic style proved to be a success story in the chat show. The way he grilled the celebs and above all, the Koffee Hamper on getting the rapid fires all right were fascinating to watch!!
  • However, it is the same show that has brought home a lot of controversies for Karan Johar.
  • We bring to you a few of the controversies on the show.
  • Hardik Pandya the cricketer had no censor in his words when he went all out and made some very offensive comments on the show. The controversy grew so big that both Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul were banned for two ODI matches.
  • Ranveer Singh on the chat show was on the receiving end after he was disrespectful towards women in the show. Ranveer and Anushka’s banter on the ‘ass pinch’ did not really go down well and it was objectionable to the core.
  • Kareena Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra had a war of words in their respective episodes of Koffee with Karan. In Kareena’s episode, she wanted to ask Priyanka, ‘where she gets her accent from?’. To this, Priyanka replied in her episode, ‘I got it from where her boyfriend got it from’. Ouch!!
  • Twinkle Khanna and Akshay Kumar were a couple to watch on Koffee With Karan. And when Twinkle was quizzed on the X factor that Akshay has which the Khans don’t have, Twinkle without mincing words said, ‘some extra inches’.
  • Well, good ones, right!! And quite controversial!!