Go Back   Wiki NewForum > General Discussion

General Discussion WikiPedia, WikiHow, Which is best, Which is Better, How to, Top 10, Tips, Bikes Forum, Mobile Forum, Gadgets Forum, Health and Food Forum, Sports Forum, Travel, News Breaking, New Information, India Forums, IPL 10 Forum and More

Views: 378 Source: CNN18.com, India-Forums, TellyChakkar, India, Times of India, Youtube, BollywoodLife, Rediff  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Default Changed Title Tags and Lost Rankings

I blogged about this nearly 3 years ago, but some people didn't believe me back then, and I imagine there are still plenty of skeptics now. Go ahead and give it a try, then talk to me after you've tested it on your own website.

Changing your title tags too often will result in a temporary loss in rankings!

The title tag is one of the most heavily weighted on-page factors in Google's algorithm. It is the one place where a few slight changes can result in huge ranking increases. So it makes perfect sense to me that Google would apply a temporary "penalty" to a website that changes them to frequently - making it tougher to game the system. This is also referred to by many as the Google Sandbox Effect. A term you are probably familiar with.

If no such penalty were in place, we'd have a bunch of people always changing their title tags in an effort to out-optimize their competitors. And if everyone was doing it, it would be a lot like a dog trying to catch it's tail. Which would just be a lot of wasted efforts, IMO.

You can almost always expect a slight drop in rankings after you initially change your title tags, but normally, depending on how active your site is, they will likely come back within a few days to a few weeks.

So how long can it take to recover if your website has actually been penalized?

From my experience it takes about 4 to 8 months to work you way out of the sandbox for this particular type of penalty. Other penalties may be longer or shorter.

I just had another one of my nearly abandoned web projects recently work its way out of the sandbox.

I strongly suspect the Sandbox effect also apply's to Google maps as well, however I believe the triggers and penalties are applied much differently. Either way, pick an appropriate title and stick with it.

For the organic search results I don't recommend changing your title tag more than twice in a six month period, however I don't know what the exact number is. If you need to change them more often than that, then I suspect you doing a bunch of stuff wrong.

If your site is in the sandbox, then I recommend just do what you normally do to properly increase your rankings (content, links, patience, etc.), just stop playing with the code for awhile. A long while.

I'd love to hear your experiences and thoughts on this.

Ads

New topics in General Discussion

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: