Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

The truth about sach ka saamna

Views: 2819  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM

Default The truth about sach ka saamna

It was a big bang launch. The hottest star to ever emerge on Indian television. Candid confessions on camera. Prize money of Rs 1 crore for the winner. A nationwide campaign to promote the same. Would audiences tune in?
I have to say this that last night I switched to Star Plus with a lot of trepidation as I was not gung-ho about Sach ka samna. I have watched Moment of truth and to say I was shocked with some of the content is putting it mildly. And I felt that it was this shock value that was the success mantra for MOT. Confessing on prime time television is alien to Indian television.

But to tell you the truth, Sach ka Samna delivered. And even if fat rating mumbers don't register for the first episode, one thing is clear, word of mouth is likely to make the show a household must watch. It kept me glued to the TV set, in anticipation of how far would the first participant Smita Mathai go. And I guess I am likely to stay tuned for at least a few more episodes, if not all in the near future. It plays very strongly on the voyeur in me.

The show has the good looking Rajeev Khandelwal who has returned to the small screen after his successful film debut in Aamir as the host. He has his task cut out but Rajeev has overcome more than half that battle. Exercising the right restraint and with that perfect voice modulation Rajeev played to the gallery. Only if he could do something to his very long and unkempt hair! We hear the guy is maintaining 'continuty' for his on-the-floor film in which he sports this hair cut. All we hope is that he finishes the film soon and gets a smarter hair cut for drooling female fans all over the globe.

Now on the show... The participants on Sach ka samna are selected after undergoing a psycho-analysis test. In the test, participants are put on the hot seat and asked questions. The authenticity of the contestants' responses is determined by a polygraph examination and the right answers are not known to anyone, neither the production house, the host or even the channel. On the show the questions are broken into six levels with a prize money at each level for an ultimate cash prize of Rs. 1 crore and with each passing level questions get tougher, more personal and increasingly edgy.

The first episode had a mother of two, Smita Mathai taking the hot seat. And as expected the questions put to her were very uncomfortable but Smita did not flinch. Sure at times she did look over her shoulder to check her family's reactions. But in the end she bared it all much to the viewer's delight. A show for the voyeuristic Indian viewer Sach ka samna did not fail. Smita who took the seat in a simple blue sari bared her ***ual longings, jealousies in a simple Q-A format in the hope of taking home the Rs 1 crore booty.

It's a different matter that the lady went home empty- handed as she lost out on a question which asked her if she had ever thought of sleeping with another man if her husband would never find out. Smita replied in the negative whereas her polygraph test result stated otherwise. She continued to protest that it was not true, but Rajeev apologised saying that there are thoughts in our innermost beings which even we might not be aware of, but the polygraph would catch them.

And she coninuted to do this while her husband, mother and two other family members watched her from a little distance.

And this is just the first episode. As they progress I am sure the questions will get more edgy, more risqué and more daring.

But for now I am loving it. What it does for Star's dipping TRPs one will know in a few days but for now it has locked horns with the likes of Iss Jungle se mujhe bachao (Sony) and Rakhi ka swayamvar (NDTV Imagine).

I am waiting for Kambli, Urvashi, Bobby to reveal their darkest secrets...the B-grade celebs in the forests of Malaysia can wait. As for Rakhi, the lady is completely out-of-sync on the swayamvar. Ms Sawant I like you when you shout, scream and cuss. Not when you d**** yourself in six yards and act the coy bride.

As for Star Plus it seems to have got its act together with this one. Now audiences have to follow.

Tags
sach ka saamna

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->