Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

Ekta: attracted to the unknown

Views: 1787  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Default Ekta: attracted to the unknown

Starting with the comedy show Hum Paanch to the saas bahu sagas and now horror shows; soap queen Ekta Kapoor has excelled in whatever she has taken up. Presently her show on Colors Koi Aane Ko Hai which is a triweekly has been one of the most talked about shows. Ekta Kapoor talks to Indya about her success so far…

Younger and new faces have always been successful in becoming a favourite of the viewers with new shows. As a show producer, do you think this has become a trend?

I think it has always been the trend, if you see, the biggest shows have always had new faces. Young or old, people want to see characters and the reason why a new face is carried off better because it comes without baggage. It’s something like if you tell me about something that has happened to you, I’ll connect with you directly without thinking about the back ground you come from. Hence it’s always better to have people whom you’ve never seen before. Television is about identification and people have to feel for those people.

TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM

What attracts you to this horror genre of shows?
I don’t know myself but I am so much into it, I love it. I think it’s also because my mind always thinks about the unknown. The unknown is something where we always have to divert our minds. Those things which have happened, which takes you straight to the back and makes you think deeply makes a tangible difference to anybody. Those are very important because those are the karmic equations on which you would love to work out.

Koi Aane Ko Hai looks overtly dramatized?
See if I tell you real stories then you will never believe that such a thing has happened. A few days ago I got a story and it has so many authentications to it. A child has died and the kid has grown up after death. There are so many people and theories that after death you grow up. Astrologers believe that if young people die and have not completed their birth cycle that they grow up. Some of the sequences are bizarre that we cannot put them in. I cannot go to that extent. Believe me, it is scary when you go into those stories.

As a viewer do you enjoy the show? What are the reactions you are receiving for the show?
I simply love Koi Aane Ko Hai and it is my favourite show. It is one show where I feel much attached to because I believe in this genre. I believe in this life after death series. I believe in people who have had terrible experiences because of incomplete auras. They have not been praying, they have been in places where there are candles burning…you will not believe. This genre for me is not as much as a show as much it is an infotainment medium where I’m getting a chance to probably delve into those questions that each one of us have.

What do you have to say about the responses of Koi Aane Ko Hai so far?
Koi has done really well… It’s done a 3 TRP even in the first week of the IPL. Doing so well in the subsequent weeks of the IPL where everything has dropped and that too being a primetime is really overwhelming!

Which story has given you goose bumps out of whatever you’ve gone through till now?
The third one that is this one which is called Gulmohar. That’s the reason we’ve kept it purposely after IPL because we knew that many new shows will be starting post IPL but I am really happy because of the response its been getting by just being a primetime weekly.

Why do supernatural powers fascinate you so much, is there any particular reason for that?

I don’t know actually but perhaps that’s how I am made. It always happens with me... I am asked questions that I am not supposed to and I like knowing things which I am not supposed to again!

What have you picked up from the show?
I have picked up very interesting aspects of supernatural that I did not know before. Like I did not people who believe that there are eight-ten forms of spirits that exist. There is a very scientific theory that we have energy points. So some people say that if we are not energized enough not necessarily by praying but by positive thinking and attitude, by living in areas which store good energies, the black spot increases and that is how the sprits enter those bodies only which have weakened spirits because they can enter. So some stories have scientific acceptance.

According to you, what kind of stories work?
Those which are spirit oriented than those which are black magic oriented. Black magic scares people.

Is it easier to make these kinds of shows where it solely depends on people to believe it or not?
See, that’s for you to decide and to be frank, that’s the fun part of it.

How do you handle so many shows on different channels and then movies also?

I really don’t know, I have different and fabulous teams for different shows and movies also. Basically, I just do what I like to do, the rest I leave it to others.

Are you planning to act in the future too?
Well… no one has approached me, but I wish somebody approaches me; I’ll make much more money.

Which are the shows that you’ve liked a lot apart from your shows?

Actually I like a foreign show ‘Brothers and Sisters’ as I am very obsessive about it!

What do you think about Balika Vadhu?
No Balika, I don’t watch… it’s not my type of show.

Any reality shows?
I cannot do reality. I do not have it in me. I will do it like a drama even if I do it but most of it is like drama actually. I have a gentleman who has joined Balaji who had done a Dance India Dance but the way he works is that he takes 3 months to develop one concept. So when he does that he will pitch it to channels. It is a completely different department. He is the Chief business officer of Balaji and he has got his own section. There is a non-fiction section too. I personally have nothing to do with it.

What are the shows which are pending to come on air?
There are none that I’ve made and haven’t come on air but there are two-three shows that we are making about which I wouldn’t like to talk here.

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->