Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 1000 Recipes (Photos+Full Details)

Views: 64614  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 AM

Fettuccine with Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Spinach, Pine Nuts, and Basil

I loved my Linguine with Turkey Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, Arugula, and Ciliengini so much that I wanted to use the same sauce base for this recipe but with different ingredients. I used what I had on hand and tossed it with my homemade fettuccine. It was quick and simple to make and tasted wonderful! We all, dinner guests AND children included, loved this dish. It was full of great flavors and textures and the homemade fettuccine turned out perfect. I will be making this recipe again and again.

Fettuccine with Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Spinach, Pine Nuts, and Basil:

Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • Cooking spray
  • 5 links of Johnsonville Sweet Basil Italian Sausage, removed from casings
  • 8 oz ****on mushrooms, quartered
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 cup of g**** tomatoes
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
  • 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 11 oz Fettuccine, cooked per instructions
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 1 cup fresh mozzarella, chopped into small cubes
  • 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts
  • Handful of fresh baby basil leaves

Heat a large s****et over medium high heat and coat with cooking spray. Remove the Italian sausage from casings and form into very small balls. Cook the sausage for 2-3 minutes then add the onion and mushrooms. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden and the onions are tender. Add the minced garlic, g**** tomatoes, oregano, and crushed fennel seed then cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth. Break up a few tomatoes by piercing them with a spatula then simmer the sauce for 7-10 minutes. Taste the sauce and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.

Cook the pasta, per instructions, while the sauce is simmering. Drain the pasta then place into the sauce along with the spinach, mozzarella cheese, pine nuts, and small basil leaves. Toss to coat evenly then serve immediately. Enjoy.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 AM

Homemade Fettuccine

I was recently sent a pasta kit from the folks at Johnsonville. The kit included a pasta machine, a pasta dryer, cheese grater, and meatball former... being a food blogger has great perks! Anyway, I thought I would try making homemade fettuccine. Most recipes online were similar so I just read a few to get the general idea on how to make the pasta. I then searched for some videos to help show me how to use my pasta making machine and this video really helped me.

Homemade Fettuccine:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 3 eggs
  • Pinch of salt
Place the flour on a clean surface making a mound then form a well in the center. Make sure to keep the walls of the "bowl" of flour even. Crack the eggs into the well of flour then season with a pinch of salt.

Mix the eggs carefully with a fork without disturbing the flour. Once the eggs are mixed well, slowly incorporate the flour into the egg mixture, a little at a time. Once the flour and egg mixture is well combined, use your fingers to form a dough ball. If the dough is too wet, add a bit of flour.

Knead the dough like you would bread dough. Push the dough down away from you with the palm of your hand then turn it 90 degrees, fold, and push down again away from you with the palm of your hand. Continue kneading for 5 minutes.

After you have finished kneading, cut the ball into 4 even pieces.

Flatten the dough balls in your hand. Prepare your pasta machine on the widest setting, mine was setting 1. If you don't have a pasta machine, you can roll it as THIN as possible with a rolling pin. Feed the flattened piece of dough into the slot of the pasta machine while turning the handle. Hold the dough in your other hand while it comes out of the machine. Fold the dough in half and repeat the process 6 times to help make the dough extra smooth. Make sure to keep your dough well floured, you don't want it sticky.

After you have done the 1 setting 6 times, turn the setting to 2. Feed the dough into the slot while gently holding the dough with the other hand when it comes out. Repeat. Turn the setting to 3 and repeat. The dough should go through each setting twice. I stopped my dough at setting 8.

I placed the long piece of thin dough on my floured work surface and cut into half.

I sprinkled flour on each side of both pieces and then I fed each piece through the dough cutter on my machine making sure to catch the falling pasta with my other hand. If you don't have pasta machine, simply fold the WELL floured pasta then cut into desired size with a sharp knife.

I then placed my pasta on a flour surface to separate each piece before putting it on my pasta drying rack. Repeat the process with the other balls of dough. Let the dough dry for 3-4 hours.

Prepare pasta by boiling water that has been well seasoned with salt over high heat. Once the water is rapidly boiling, place the pasta into the water and cook for 3-5 minutes or until al dente. Drain and toss with your favorite sauce. Enjoy.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 AM

Mini Lemon Pies and Mini Cherry Pies

When I saw this recipe on Georgia's site The Comfort of Cooking, I knew I would be making these beauties immediately. My kids love fruit pies so making them their own perfect little pie made them so happy! My daughter and I had so much fun making these together... she especially loved cutting out each little flower for the top crusts. These were extremely quick and simple to make and they tasted fantastic! We had friends over for dinner and these pies were a huge hit with all of us. Thanks for the great idea Georgia!

Mini Lemon or Cherry Pies:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by The Comfort of Cooking
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 9 inch, store bought, pie crusts
  • 1 can of lemon pie filling
  • 1 can of cherry pie filling
  • 1 egg + 1 tbsp water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.

Roll out the pie crusts on a flour surface then smooth them out with a rolling pin. Use a cookie cutter or a ramekin to cut 4 inch circles out of the pie crusts. Roll the leftover dough up into a ball then roll out with rolling pin and cut out more 4 inch circles. I had enough to fill all muffin tins because I rolled my dough out pretty thin.

Place the circles (bottom crusts) into the muffin tin, pressing them firmly but gently to the sides. Scoop 2 tablespoons of either cherry or lemon filling into each tin.

Use different cookie cutter shapes, we used flowers and regular circular cookie cutters, to make the top crusts. Top the pies with the crusts. Make sure you slice vents into the top of each pie if it's completely covered with a crust.

Mix the egg and water together and brush the tops of each pie with the mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

Let them cool for 4-5 minutes. Serve plain or with ice cream. Enjoy.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 AM

Crab Quesadilla with Homemade Guacamole

I think my new favorite flavor combination is crab with avocado. I loved the Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad with Avocado Halves so much I decided to use the same flavors together to make a quesadilla for lunch the next day. I recently won a package of Tortilla Land corn tortillas from Two Peas and Their Pod and I couldn't wait to use them. I precooked the tortillas a little bit first then layered them with Jack cheese, the crab mixture followed by a bit more cheese. I loved the flavor of the crab mixture with the fresh corn tortillas and homemade guacamole. This was a quick and simple recipe to make but made my lunch extra special. Thanks for the great tortillas Maria!

Crab Quesadilla with Homemade Guacamole:
Recipe and Photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1/2 cup lump crab meat
  • 1 tsp jalapeno, diced finely
  • 1 tsp red onion, diced finely
  • 2 tsp cilantro
  • Juice from 1/2 a lime
  • Dash of cumin
  • 2 fresh corn tortillas
  • Jack cheese, shredded
  • Homemade guacamole

Note: If you are using par cooked tortillas, cook them in a hot s****et for 30 seconds on each side before preparing your quesadilla.

Combine the crab meat, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and cumin together in a bowl and gently mix.

Heat a s****et over medium heat. Place a corn tortilla in the s****et then sprinkle a bit of cheese; then add the crab mixture followed by a little more shredded cheese. Place the other tortilla on top and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from the s****et and let cool for a minute before slicing. Serve with fresh guacamole. Enjoy.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:53 AM

Potato Crab Chowder

I got three different meals out of one can of crab - I love that! For the last crab recipe I decided to make a Cooking Light Potato Crab Chowder I found on Myrecipes. It looked hearty, filling, and delicious. It was quick and simple to make and tasted wonderful. The crab made this chowder rich and delicious and I loved the chunky potatoes with the creamy and sweet corn. I served this chowder with fresh baked bread - the perfect dinner on a cold rainy night.

Potato Crab Chowder:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Cooking Light 2003 ~ Myrecipes
  • 2 tbsp ****er
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3 stalks of celery, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 1/2 cups of baby red potatoes, diced (about 10)
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
  • 2 1/2 cups of 2% milk
  • 1 14 oz can of cream style corn
  • 2 cups of chicken stock
  • 10 oz lump crab meat
  • 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Melt ****er in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and celery then cook for 3-4 minutes; add the minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the potato and sauté for 1 minute; add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add thyme, nutmeg, and sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Next add the milk, cream corn, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in crab and parsley. Taste and re-season if needed. Cook for 5 more minutes then serve. Enjoy.

Tags
food, photos, recipes, top 1000

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum