Quick Tiramisu (Cake Recipes)

Views: 4289  
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Award Winner

Default Quick Tiramisu (Cake Recipes)

Prep Time: 30 minutes or less | Cook Time: 30 minutes or less | Serves: 6
Dessert » Cakes » Italian

Ingredients:

2 cups unsweetened espresso (about 16-20 shots)
6 eggs (if you don't want to risk getting sick from raw eggs, buy pastureized eggs.
2/3 cup sugar
3 cups mascarpone cheese
4 tablespoons Marsala
about 2 packs of Ladyfingers, the hard kind
unsweetened cocoa

The amounts I use in the pictures will be different, but I'm making two batches to take to work.

If you don't have an espresso machine, you can brew a strong cup of coffee, and then run the coffee through your machine again over new grounds. If you do that, be sure to run a pot or two of just water through your machine to clean it out afterwards.

Mascarpone [COLOR=#2B65B0 ! important]cheese[/COLOR]is a creamy cheese, like a softer cream cheese. It's sweet, and I've found it at both Meijer's and Giant Eagle, usually in little tubs near the fancy cheeses. Marsala is a wine, but if you're cheap or can't find any, you can substitute Frangelica or Kahlua, but a bottle of Marsala is like 4 bucks at the grocery, and it's usually kept near the sherry.

Ladyfingers are hard little cookie things, that I've also found at Meijer's and Giant Eagle. Here's the kind I used:

If you can only find the soft kind, it's OK, but it works better with the hard kind.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Award Winner

Step 1:

Brew up your coffee and let it cool completely. If you're making espresso, realize that it will take quite a bit of time to finish.

Separate your eggs, discarding the whites on two of them. You can separate your eggs with a tablespoon, or whatever you find easiest. You should have 6 yolks, and 4 whites. Lay out all your ingredients, for ease of use. Here's all mine, minus the cocoa and ladyfingers:
Award Winner

Step 2:

If you don't have a standing mixer or at least a handheld, this is going to be very very hard to make.
Award Winner

Step 3:

Beat your egg whites with 2 tbsp. of sugar, until it's frothy and kind of stiff, like this:
Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Award Winner

Step 4:

In a separate bowl, beat your yolks with the remaining sugar, until it's pale and thick:

Tags
recipe

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum