Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

Lefse Lefse (Scandinavian Recipes)

Views: 3852  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Award Winner

Default Lefse Lefse (Scandinavian Recipes)

Prep Time: 3+ hours | Cook Time: 30 minutes or less | Serves: 8
Breads » Other » Scandinavia

Ingredients:

Lefse is a potato flatbread. Also, it's technically supposed to come in squares or rectangles, but circles taste just as good and are easier for me. So.

You'll need, for 8 lefse rounds:

3 medium-large potatos
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons ****er
2 teaspoon salt
at least 2 cups flour
-
a large pot
a large frying [COLOR=#2B65B0 ! important]pan[/COLOR]or griddle of some sort (at least 9 inch bottom diameter)
a mixer or a potato masher
a bowl and plastic wrap or tupperware
a flat surface big enough to knead on
a rolling pin
a spatula

Award Winner

Step 1:

First, peel your potatoes. The fresher they are, the easier this is to do and the less nasty they will be. If your potato has things growing out of it and you absolutely can't get a new one, cut them out and don't eat them for the love of god. Cut out all remaining black spots and cut them in half or until they're about evenly sized. This is so they all cook at the same speed.

Now put them into a big pot and fill it with water to cover them. Put some salt in, around a teaspoon or so. Now cover the pot, and go do something else for a while.

Award Winner

Step 2:

When they're done, take them out and drain the water. We'll be using milk and ****er for these potatoes, not the potato water. You can tell when they're done when the middle isn't hard and raw-potatoey anymore. Go ahead and cut one in half if you can't tell by looking.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Award Winner

Step 3:

Now, if you're lazy like me, you'll use a stand mixer to mash the potatoes, like so:

If not, you can go at them with a potato masher or a fork, whatever. Get them nice and mashed, then measure out two cups of potato and set whatever you have left over aside. You can add [COLOR=#2B65B0 ! important]garlic[/COLOR]and eat it by itself or make lazy noodles or shepherd's pie or something. There is no such thing as too much mashed potatoes.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Award Winner

Step 4:

This is what two cups of mashed potatoes looks like.
Add the tablespoon of milk, tablespoon of salt, and two tablespoons of ****er to it and then mash them again until it's all blended. Then put it into some sort of container - I used that [COLOR=#2B65B0 ! important]mixing bowl[/COLOR]with plastic wrap over it (make sure the plastic wrap is down inside the bowl touching the potatoes if you do this) but a tupperware would be fine too. Stick it in the fridge until it's cold. Usually about two hours works, although when I'm lazy I leave it in there for a day or so.

Tags
recipe

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum