Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Film Entertainment Forum

Spl. Photos: "Dunno Y...Na Jaane Kyon" - Homo-*** based Film (Full Details)

Views: 10249  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 PM

Default Spl. Photos: "Dunno Y...Na Jaane Kyon" - Homo-*** based Film (Full Details)

Dunno Y...Na Jaane Kyon (English: Don't Know Why) is a 2010 Indian film. The film was directed by Sanjay Sharma and written by his brother Kapil Sharma who also played the lead. It premiered in April 2010 at India's first mainstream gay film festival, the Kashish Mumbai International Queer Film Festival. It features the first gay kiss in Indian cinema.

The film had its North American premiere at the I View Film Festival in New York and also will be screened at the Sydney Film Festival and the Indian Film Festival of London (IFFL). Dunno Y... Na Jaane Kyon will release in theatres in Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland in September 2010.[

Dunno Y... Na Jaane Kyon
Directed bySanjay Sharma
Produced byRajkumari Satyaprakash
Written byKapil Sharma[1]
StarringKapil Sharma
Zeenat Aman
Helen
Kabir Bedi
Maradona Rebello
Rituparna Sengupta
Aryan Vaid
Asha Sachdev
Vikrant Rai

Music byNikhil Kamat
Editing bySanjay Sharma
StudioMovies Masti Magic Studios
Release date(s)September 22, 2010 (2010-09-22) (I View Festival)
CountryIndia
LanguageHindi

Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM

Looks like the young star Maradona Rebello is spreading his wings! After his controversial role in Sudipto Chattopadhyay’s Pankh, in which he played Bipasha Basu’s alter ego, Maradona has now signed Anil Sharma’s Dunno Y… Na Jaane Kyun, which is to be directed by Sanjay Sharma. Maradona plays Zeenat Aman’s younger son and Helen’s grandson in the film and aspires to be a big shot hotelier and go to Dubai.

Ask him about his good fortune and Maradona turns red. “Maybe this is what they call Lady Luck,” he says. “It’s been a long time since we shot Pankh and even today my friends ask me what it was like to shoot with Bipasha. And now, my uncles ask me what is it like to shoot with Zeenat ma’am and Helen ma’am.” Maradona has a pivotal role that is parallel to the main cast of Zeenat Aman, Helen, Rituparna Sengupta, Kapil Sharma and Yuvraaj.

Dunno Y… is a family drama and there is not a leading star as such. So be not mistaken that Maradona will be lost amidst the biggies. Well, everyone has an important role and is a lead in his and her own right with their respective sweet and sour tale of life.

“Before we began shooting Pankh, my director Sudipto (Chattopadhyay) took me to Bipasha’s place and introduced me to her. She spoke to me and asked me to be at ease and not get over-awed. For all that I heard about her, Bipasha turned out to be down-to-earth and simple person,” he says.
“And as for Zeenat ma’am, we hit it off from the day one. Maybe because we’re both Xavierites (Mumbai). And, of course, it’s been a great pleasure working under Sanjay Sharma. He is the most chilled out director.”
The film also stars Asha Sachdev, Parikshit Sahani, Hazel and Mahabano Modi Kotwal of Vagaina Monologues fame.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 PM

Debutant director Sanjay Sharma, whose film on homo***ual relationships Dunno Y...Na Jaane Kyun is facing censor trouble, says his main aim is to make people aware that there's nothing abnormal about one being homo***ual.

"Through this film I wanted to bring out the relationship between these characters. How they feel, their emotions... My aim is not to make fun of them. It was a big challenge for me dealing with this subject. I'm happy that at least I gave it a shot," Sharma, whose film has been screened at a few international film festivals, told IANS in an interview.

The first-time director, who has also roped in yesteryears actresses Zeenat Aman and Helen in key roles, insists he didn't choose the topic knowing it would stir controversy. "I just did my best. I think I've made a very emotional and sensitive film and I hope people understand this."

Zeenat Aman in Dunno Y...Na Jane Kyon" alt="Zeenat Aman in Dunno Y...Na Jane Kyon"

"I want to send a message through my film that homo***uals are also human beings. They are not abnormal. So people shouldn't see them with a different perspective. Like we love, even they love. It's very important to create this awareness," Sharma added.

Written by the director's brother Kapil Sharma, who is also acting in the film, Dunno Y...Na Jaane Kyun tells the story of a serious relationship between two men. The film also stars Yuvraj Parashar, Helen, Zeenat Aman, Rituparna Sengupta, Kabir Bedi, Tara Sharma and Asha Sachdev among others.

"I was working on some other subject but my younger brother Kapil showed me a script that he wrote. When I read it, I totally loved it; so I thought I should leave the first one and start with this. The entire credit of bringing out this subject goes to Kapil," said Sharma.

The film has been showcased at the Trikone Queer Film Festival (Australia), I View (New York) and Indian Film Festival of London but faces some problems with the censor board in India that wants a few scenes deleted before it releases Oct 29.

"Right now the issue is with the revising committee. They want us to delete some portions, but according to me they are important for the film. So we are trying to convince them. No final decision has been taken till now," director Sharma explained.

What made him get two yesteryears actresses - Zeenat Aman and Helen on board?

"Zeenat Aman fitted the role very well. When we were scripting the film, the first thing that came to our mind was to approach her for this role... because if your casting is right, 50 percent of your job is done," Sharma said.

"The kind of role that Helen is playing in this film is something I don't think she has played before. She is playing a grandmother and her character has a lot of substance.

"She read the script... and she liked her role. Even though she is 70 plus, she is very active, very punctual and disciplined," he added.

So didn't he try getting known actors for the lead roles as well?

"No I didn't. Firstly because the two newcomers have no image, they didn't come with a burden attached to them. Secondly, normally if I had gone to an established actor, he might have had reservations about doing this role.

"These two (Kapil and Yuvraj) have worked really hard and their chemistry in the film is so good...I wanted to make it look real. I didn't want caricature characters," Sharma said.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 PM

The movie, 'Dunno Y Na Jaane Kyon' discusses homo***uality in Indian society

In the film, 'Dunno Y Na Jaane Kyon' the storyline addresses the gay life in Indian culture.
Indian film director Sanjay Sharma knew it would be a challenge, but welcomed the opportunity to do it:
Dunno Y, however, is different. The story of a married, closeted homo***ual, Ashley, who is in a relationship with a wannabe actor, it's Bollywood's first serious portrayal of a gay relationship, complete with a 90-second kissing scene.
"It's a sensitive and ******** depiction of what it is to be gay in India," says Sanjay's brother, Kapil Sharma, who wrote the script and plays Ashley. "The kissing scene is not there to press media ****ons. The script genuinely called for some onscreen intimacy between the stars."
The film comes at a sensitive time in India. Little more than a year ago, the Delhi High Court overturned a 150-year-old law that criminalised homo***uality. India, which has more than 500 million people under the age of 25, is shedding social taboos at a furious pace.
The changes in Indian society were obvious at the film's world premiere at Mumbai's first international queer film festival, Kashish. "The response was incredible," Kapil says. "The auditorium was packed and there were about 500 people who could not even get in. But what we were most pleased about was that there weren't any religious protests."
The actors prepared for the roles by going on gay chat lines and watching Queer as Folk. One of the actors was inspired by no other, than Gale Harold's Brian Kinney (so funny).
Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Latest News in Film Entertainment Forum