Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Sports News Forum

Ganguly will take up the commentary mike for ESPN Star Sports - T20 Semis

Views: 2795  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 AM

Default Ganguly will take up the commentary mike for ESPN Star Sports - T20 Semis

The Indians have left the World T20 Championships somewhat red-faced, but one Indian will be making his debut at the Oval on Friday, despite having had 16 years in the international game. Former India captain Sourav Ganguly will take up the commentary mike for ESPN Star Sports for the West Indies versus Sri Lanka World T20 semi-final, his first day on the job that attracts so many former international cricketers.

As captain, Ganguly and his team had a love-hate relationship with TV commentators, once declaring a boycott of TV crew during the 2003 World Cup after defeat to Australia. The show, Match Ka Mujrim was first aired during his captaincy tenure, with Ganguly more often than not finding himself named as villain of the piece.

All those, he says are bygones, today. Speaking to www.wikinewforum.com, Ganguly described what his commentary style would be, "I will call it like I see it, and not get personal." Asked to pick a favourite commentator Ganguly was quick to name Richie Benaud, the cricketers' commentator.

Would his commentary finally make the Indian cricketers abandon their customary habit of watching cricket with the sound turned down? Ganguly laughed, "I'd rather the sound was turned down and they concentrated on their game."

India's most successful captain would not be drawn into a comment about M S Dhoni's handling of the media during the World T20.

"Everyone has their own style and learns as they go along - M S has done wonderfully well till now, this is his first unsuccessful series and he need to be backed."

The Bengal left-hander did have one gripe with Dhoni, "he should be batting up the order - and I have been crying myself hoarse about this for months now. India's 3,4,5 should be Dhoni, Yuvraj and Pathan." Dhoni floats around the batting order and is now being used as a T20 finisher but Ganguly said, "his strength is that he can clear the field but he needs to get set before he can tee off. He needs to spend time, which is why he should come in at No.3."

The key for Dhoni to increase his impact for India, Ganguly said, "was for him to back himself in difficult conditions. Okay so the ball will seam around, but he's got to back himself and spend time at the crease. When he's set he will take games away very quickly."

Latest News in Sports News Forum