Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

‘Comedy has become regressive’

Views: 1361  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 12-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Television

Default ‘Comedy has become regressive’

If you think that all that you will get to hear from Shekhar Suman is loud bellowing laughter and some comments as a celebrity judge on reality

shows, then think again.

The motor mouthed television host will once again be regaling audience in a two hour show, Still Moving Still Shaking, soon to be aired on NDTV Imagine. In a free wheeling chat with NT, the popular television host talks about his project, his plans to be seen on the big screen and his actor son Adhyayan Suman.

Low standards
Often called the Jay Leno of Indian television, Shekhar Suman, who pioneered talk shows laced with laughter and satire feels miserable at the level to which comedy and stand up acts have fallen. "What is being presented on television today is loads of Sh*#," he says apologising for the language. "The kind of talent that these shows are attracting is abysmal and almost embarrassing. Comedy has been reduced to screaming, singing and dancing. It is so regressive," he says of the shows, which he is also judging.

"When I began with Movers and Shakers, the idea was to present the current events in a lighter vein. A deeper message and public sentiment was conveyed through stand up acts and mimickery," he says. "My new show, which will be a two hour programme aired once in three months, will also be like an editorial. It will be more cerebral in content and will provoke some serious thoughts along with laughs. This time I am more like Jerry Seinfeld - an observational comedian," he informs.

Back to films
Since he sounds so enthusiastic about performing on television again, has he no plans for the big screen? "For me television was incidental. It simply happened and I too carried on for want of other work and also economic reasons," says Shekhar. "Films are my actual destination. I have now set up my own production house and will be producing and also acting in films," he informs. Happy with the current phase in Indian cinema, Shekhar says, "Cinema in India has seen a lot of change in terms of content and audience. Almost all the genres are being tried out simultaneously. Today a serious film like A Wednesday! and a frothy comedy can be successful even when they are released in the same week."

Proud father
Does he have any plans for his actor son Adhyayan whose debut film was a dud? "Flops don't matter. I am very happy with the way my son's career is progressing. In this crowd of newbies, Adhyayan is the real actor. It was very reassuring when a director of Mahesh Bhatt's calibre heaped praises on him," says the proud father. "The gen next of actors are a very sensible lot. They are much powered and matured. At 20, my son is a much superior actor than I was at that age and he has a huge reservoir of talent. Unlike me, he also has the luxury to be choosy," he elaborates.

Matters of heart
Not only career, the gen next also seems to be sure of their relationships. Ask Shekhar about his son's affair with actress Kangna Ranaut and he is quick to say, 'It's good that this generation is so open and has no qualms talking about their affairs. It makes things so hassle free. I have sounded my son about his love life. I have told him that even though I may not agree with his affair with Kangna, I am okay with it. He too has heard me out and now takes his own decisions."

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->