Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

'My characters failed to click' - Ratna Sinha

Views: 1670  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Award Winner

Default 'My characters failed to click' - Ratna Sinha

Tellybuzz on a chat with one of the most popular female producers of small screen, Ratna Sinha…

Ratna Sinha's Chota Ganpati Telecreations has been the driving force behind shows like Babul Ka Aangann Chootey Na and Chi and Me. Her latest offering Do Saheliyaan on Zee TV though failed to impress the viewers. The very confident and talented Ratna Sinha talks elaborately on her professional highs and lows so far…

Excerpts from our conversation…

You have had an interesting journey with twists taking you from the musical world to the television industry. Can you tell us about the detour from music to television?
I think a journey is always nice. When it comes to a video you shoot for three days and it's a wrap up whereas for a show the time duration is longer. You are catering to a different audience with television shows. My journey from doing music videos to television shows has been full of good things only.

As a producer within the television industry what would you say is the biggest pitfall or weakness of our industry?
I feel presently the small screen is not allowing us to experiment with scripts. The medium has become very rigid. I remember I had written a script about six years back for a show called Chi amd Me which was based on the premise that a few kids meet an alien. Had I written that script now I don't think I would've found buyers for it.

What makes you want to remain behind the scenes instead of facing the camera?
Because I can't act! My focus, my specialty is in another stream and I think I'd better stick to what I'm good at.

Your current show Do Saheliyaan narrates the story of the ups and downs of friendship. What inspired you to create such a show?
I think friendship is the only relationship outside one's family that is worth the while. If you can make 3-4 good friends in your lifetime, there's nothing like it. Apart from that someone narrated a real life story however it wasn't based on two best friends. I just took the gist of it and tried to recreate it in the lives of two best friends.

According to the very popular TRP rating system, Do Saheliyaan has not fared very well.
My biggest feeling is that my characters failed to click. If the characters could've connected with the audience maybe it would've worked.

Is the show going off air on 8th July?
Yes…I think so.

Do you feel a change in timing or post-launch promotion by channel would have been a helping hand for Do Saheliyan?
I really don't want to go back and say bad about anything or anyone.

Many have said that they are reminded of the flavors of Balika Vadhu when they watched Do Saheliyan. What is your take on this similar taste which audiences feel they are getting?
I don't agree with this. Since both the shows are based in Rajasthan, the customs shown are similar. Apart from that the stories are completely different.

We have heard that you want to graduate from television to films. Have you started working on your film?
Yes, I've always wanted to venture towards the big screen. It's a different experience for one. Yes, I've started working for a film; however, I cannot talk in detail about the project right now.

Is there any film which you would want to make into a television show?
There's no film I'd like to adapt for TV. But I think any of Sidney Sheldon's novels would make for a super-hit television show.

With such a cluttered environment and so many television shows these days, is there any show besides your own that you like to follow?
I like to follow Sasural Genda Phool for its freshness and Pratigya because each of its characters is entertaining.

What do you have to say about websites like India-Forums.com where viewers can post their comments, opinions, feedback about your show and you can directly access and assess the audience's take on the show?
It's very good to know what people are thinking. Feedback is very important and I'm happy we have such sites!

Tags
ratna sinha

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->