Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

Steamed Vegetarian Dumplings (VEG RECIPE)

Views: 3368  
Old 01-25-2010, 06:20 AM
Award Winner

Default Steamed Vegetarian Dumplings (VEG RECIPE)

Prep Time:
30 minutes or less | Cook Time: 30 minutes or less | Serves: 3

Appetizers » Vegetable » Asian

Ingredients:

Well, I'm a cooking newbie, but I'll post my past cooking experience. I decided to make some steamed vegetarian dumplings. You can vary them however you want. You can steam or fry them (steamed is healthier obviously) and you can fill them with whatever you want too. Meat, shrimp, spinach and cheese, whatever. I decided to go with some fake sausage.

fake meatless sausage
soy sauce
oyster flavored sauce
fish sauce
hoisin sauce
scallions
hot mustard
won ton wrappers

Old 01-25-2010, 06:20 AM
Award Winner

Step 1:

Then, the easy part, making the filling. In my case it was basically taking that wannabe meat and mixing in the scallions and a bit of all those sauces into something like such (while making a pretty mess).

I ended up getting something like so:
Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Award Winner

Step 2:

First, take a won-ton wrap and put a bit of the filling in the middle. Then, you gotta rub the edges of the wrap with either water or egg white. I used egg white. I also used my finger because that was easiest as so. Basically dip my finger in egg white then rub it along the edges:
Award Winner

Step 3:

Then you fold the wrap in half and press it together, the egg white / water will make it stick. Then you kind of pull the two ends together as so:

Note in the previous picture I also have a dumpling where I didn't pull it together (just folded it in half). I did most of them like this because it was 1) quicker and 2) I could put more stuffing in it. If you want to do the full way, you gotta add egg white down the middle where you pull the two ends together so it sticks too.
Award Winner

Step 4:

Anyway, then it's time to steam them. I don't actually have a steamer so I used this for substitution. Gotta place the dumplings along the bottom so that they don't actually touch.

Tags
recipe

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum