View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM

India Vs Australia

India to play QF vs Australia in Ahmedabad on Thursday 24th
March 2011

Sardar Patel Gujarat Stadium, Motera Mar 24(14:30)

Vs

-------

India won

Huge Huge game in store for us on the 30th at Mohali, it is India v Pakistan, the semi final. But before that, it is South Africa v New Zealand at Mirpur tomorrow. It has been a nerve-wracking, but yet the best coverage possible, I believe. Thank you all for tuning in. This is Ajith signing out on behalf of the superstitious Srivathsa and the light hearted Sid V. As I always say, keep your frown, upside down. If you are an Indian fan, you need not try hard doing that. Cheers!

Presentation Ceremony

Yuvraj: I don't know whether this is a purple patch, but there was a lot of pressure that we were playing against Australia. I knew that Raina was there to come, we did well in the end. I told Gautam Gambhir that I'm not Virender Sehwag, I can't run that quickly, may be it was my mistake, apologies to him. I have been through tough times, I have continued to trust myself and stick to my plans. Looking at the wicket, I knew 250-260 was a tough score, Sachin and Gauti batted well and the partnership with Raina was key. Beating Australia, the three time World Champions, is really special.
Yuvraj Singh, yet again, is the Man of the Match for India. What an all round performance.
MS Dhoni: 70 odd runs needed, I thought these are the two guys who have to take us to the end. I had hopes on Yuvraj, but I did feel the pressure and for the men in the middle, it was all about handling pressure. With Raina coming in, he was technically more sound compared to Yusuf and our choice was made thinking that we need to bat the 50 overs. We fielded the best today, Yuvi was electrifying. Everybody gave 100%, I think we saved at least a fifteen runs. Well, it doesn't get better. World Cup hosted by the sub continent nations, an India Pakistan semi finals, there will be more pressure for us, not from inside but from outside. The people will say, don't worry about the Cup, it does not matter, but win the semi finals for us.

Ricky Ponting: We competed hard, there is no doubt about that. We had a chance at halfway stage, we had to take a few more wickets but Yuvraj and Raina played well. With 15 overs left, we were in with a big chance, we had to get more wickets and get into their tail. We have had our moments, we are probably a better team than what we have showed. Full credit to India to the way they have played, good luck to them from here on.

Raina: I knew that whenever I got the chance that I would do well. I would like to thank Gary Kirsten for giving me the chance and I proved that I can do well. When I was in the sitting dressing room, Sachin came up to me and told me to maintain my calm. He told me to just go out there and do the job. Yuvraj told me to me to play my natural game. I hope to continue with the good work in this tournament. We have to maintain the hard work and we have to bring out our best against Pakistan in the semi-finals.

Phase 1 - The new ball saga: Chasing 261 on this wicket wasn't an easy task by any means. And with the kind of wicket taking, ruthless bowlers that the Aussies possess, it was important for India to get off to a decent start to lay a base to this run chase. Tendulkar and Sehwag did just that, Sehwag survived a review initially and the openers made sure that they didn't lose any wicket in the first 8 overs. Later on, though Sehwag fell, Sachin Tendulkar carried it forward with a well made fifty. India on top.

Phase 2 - The disordered middle order: When a chase is on, more than good bowling, it is pressure and panic that can result in the fall of wickets. And that's what happened. A beauty to get Tendlya, a horrible running resulting in the downfall of Gambhir, a full toss smacked straight to mid wicket by Kohli and Dhoni cutting a piece of cake to Clarke, they all came down like a pack of tumbling cards. The balance shifts - Aussies on top.

Phase 3 - Hold your nerves or pack your bags: Then came the decisive phase, it was left to Yuvraj and Raina to decide whether to anchor it forward or to let it slip away. A semi final date against Pakistan was at stake. He has been the man in tremendous form for India, the question was, will he be able to tackle the likes of Lee and Tait, Johnson and Krejza? Raina, at the other end, susceptible to short deliveries, had to step up and make it count. A few cracking boundaries, a bit more pressure on the bowlers, and a win was at striking distance. India on top.

Phase 4 - When the nerves settle: It went down to the wire, but the Aussies were playing against 12 men, the XI men in blue and the crowd, their 12th man. The support and the wishes didn't go unanswered and Yuvraj took India home. Alright, everything said and done, it is India v Pakistan at Mohali. Don't go away, this is me Ajith who will be back with the presentation. PS: Srivathsa, the man of superstitions, wanted to handle comm duties for the entire innings and he must be a tired man. Time for him to get a breather.

47.4 Lee to Yuvraj, FOUR!!, India have won and are through to the semis! End of the road for Australia. What a journey it has been as well. I don't think anyone can even come remotely close to surpassing or equaling their record in World Cups. The dream semis is on now - India vs Pakistan at Mohali. Their reign has been ended by India. Magnificent scenes as Yuvraj makes room and flays that over cover, he is pumped or what, waves the bat wildly and lets out a huge roar, sinks on his knees and pumps his fists in delight. Raina walks up to him and embraces him in a bear hug. What scenes at Motera!

Ponting walks off - respect to the great man - it could be his last game in World Cups. As soon as the winning hit was hit by Yuvraj, the Indian team raised together and congratulated each other. PS: Even Munna who was having his dinner, got up and celebrated. Not sure whether he finished his dinner or not. @ 142.95 kmph