View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Red Enchilada Sauce

I found this Bobby Flay recipe in the October 2010 Food Network Magazine. I've never been a fan of canned enchilada sauce so I was excited to give this recipe a try. I adapted the recipe a bit by using less oil, less chili powder, adding coriander, and using less honey. It was thick and so flavorful! My daughter thought it was "okay" but the rest of us thought it was FANTASTIC. It was so simple to make and it tastes so much better than canned sauce. This sauce would be wonderful on enchiladas, tacos, and huevos rancheros.
Red Enchilada Sauce:

Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Bobby Flay - Food Network Magazine
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp chile powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp honey

Heat the canola oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the minced garlic, chile powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano then stir constantly for 1 minute. Add tomatoes (crushed by hand) and juice. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste and add the honey then cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes.

After the sauce has simmered for 30 minutes, blend the sauce with an immersion blender (or regular blender) until smooth. Taste and re-season if needed. Enjoy.