View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM

Shredded Pork and Monterey Jack Cheese Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I picked up a pork shoulder at the grocery store recently and decided to make a big batch of shredded pork. I simply seasoned it with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, and coriander. I seared the meat on medium high heat then cooked it low and slow in the oven with some chicken broth, chopped garlic, chopped cilantro, and chopped Anaheim pepper for 6 hours, until it was tender and shredded easily. The pork was so fantastic! It had a wonderful flavor and was really tender and juicy. I used the shredded pork to make enchiladas with a bit of Monterey jack cheese and homemade enchilada sauce. They were some of the best enchiladas I have ever made!

Shredded Pork and Monterey Jack Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • Pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Cumin, to taste
  • Garlic powder, to taste
  • Coriander, to taste
  • Dried oregano, to taste
  • 2 cups of chicken broth
  • Handful of cilantro, chopped
  • 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped

Side note: I didn't measure the seasonings (sorry). I just sprinkled them all over the pork shoulder evenly.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Heat the olive oil a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Season the pork shoulder, to taste, evenly on all sides. Once the pan is hot, sear the pork shoulder on all sides for 4-5 minutes or until it has a golden brown crust. Add the chicken broth, cilantro, garlic, and Anaheim pepper to the Dutch oven. Cover with a lid and place into the oven for 3 hours. Turn the pork shoulder over and cook for an additional 2-3 hours or until the pork shoulder shreds easily and is very tender and juicy. Remove as much of the fat as possible then shred the meat with two forks. Set aside.

Remaining Ingredients:
  • Corn tortillas
  • Monterey Jack cheese
  • Enchilada sauce
  • Sour cream
  • Green onion, diced

Wet a dishcloth or several paper towels and ring out. Place the corn tortillas inside and cook them in the microwave for 60-90 seconds until soft and pliable. Coat the baking dish with cooking spray then pour some enchilada sauce over the bottom. Take a corn tortilla and spoon shredded pork along the center then roll and place into the pan. Repeat until finished. Add the rest of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Top with cheese then cover with tinfoil and place into the oven.

Bake for 25 minutes then remove the tinfoil and continue to bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with green onions. Serve with sour cream. Enjoy.