View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 AM

Vegetable, White Bean, and Orzo Soup

I had a busy day and didn't have a lot of time to make dinner so I decided to use up what I had on hand and make a big pot of soup. I found carrots, zucchini, squash, spinach, and onion in the refrigerator (and luckily my neighbor had some celery I could have - thanks Cheryl!). I found some white beans and orzo in the cupboard and decided to throw them in the soup too. It was quick and super easy to make and tasted fantastic. I served my soup with feta cheese sprinkled on top but my kids preferred it without cheese.

Vegetable, White Bean, and Orzo Soup:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1-2 tsp of olive oil
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3 carrots, diced
  • 3 stalks of celery, diced
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 6 cups of chicken broth
  • 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 15 oz can of cannellini beans, drained
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup of zucchini, diced
  • 1 cup of yellow squash, diced
  • 2 cups of baby spinach
  • Feta cheese, garnish

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, dried basil, and oregano. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes; add the minced garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring constantly. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, and sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste then cover with a lid and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the veggies are tender. Add orzo and cook for 8 minutes then add the zucchini, yellow squash, and spinach. Taste and re-season if needed. Cook for 2 minutes then ladle into bowls. Top each bowl of soup with feta cheese and serve immediately. Enjoy.