View Single Post
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 AM

Not all reality shows are created equal

I remember when “Real World” first came out. I never liked it. I still don’t like reality shows like “Newlyweds” and “My Fair Brady.” I really hate reality dating shows. Gross. I’d rather watch a reality show about people getting payday advances. However, reality television has come a long way, and I have found my niche: competitive reality shows. I don’t really like “Survivor,” “Big Brother” or “Fear Factor,” but there are plenty of good reality competition shows out there to keep me busy.
1. ‘Project Runway’

I love Tim Gunn, I love laughing at Michael Kors’ orange skin, I love Heidi’s accent, and I love trying to guess who will cry and what Nina Garcia will say. Yes, I pretty much love everything about “Project Runway.” And season seven starts Thursday!
2. ‘Models of the Runway’

“Models of the Runway” on its own is not a very interesting show. However, I love having a supplement to “Project Runway.” I think “Models of the Runway” makes “Project Runway” more interesting, even if it isn’t very interesting itself. Plus, I am always sad when “Project Runway” is over, so it’s nice to have that extra half hour of content.
3. ‘Top Chef’

Who can resist “Top Chef”? Season six was the best yet; the makers of “Top Chef” really managed to pump up the excitement with high-stakes quickfires, and they really lucked into the Battle of the Brothers. I can’t wait to see what happens next season! I’m so glad I have other competitive cooking shows to keep me busy until then.
4. ‘Chef Academy’

I knew from the second I saw Joel McHale make fun of Bravo for airing another competitive cooking reality show that I would love “Chef Academy.” The fun thing is that all of the chefs stuck around for the whole season, despite Chef Novelli’s vicious threats toward his students. It’s cool to watch people learn new cooking techniques and get to know them at the same time. There’s a navy guy, a trophy wife, a former **** star — what’s not to like?
5. ‘Chopped’

Yes, it’s another competitive cooking show. I can’t resist! “Chopped” doesn’t let you get to know the contestants like “Top Chef” and “Chef Academy,” but it’s fun to see how much personality can come out in the kitchen in just three quick challenges. I have learned a lot about flavor combinations and seen some really creative ideas on “Chopped.”
6. ‘America’s Next Top Model’

OK, so I have a love/hate relationship with “America’s Next Top Model,” but I am hooked. Watching Tyra Banks slowly go insane is just too entertaining to miss. Sometimes the girls on ANTM are awful, but that’s part of the fun!
7. ‘American Idol’

Sometimes I think “American Idol” can be a little bit slow, but last season, Adam Lambert managed to keep me interested. I am looking forward to this season because of the addition of Ellen DeGeneres, who I love. Also, it’s Simon’s last season! Who would miss that?
8. ‘Giuliana & Bill’

Sure, this show is the “just follow people around with a camera” style, but there is something about this couple that makes the show interesting and fun. The episode where Giuliana tried to learn to cook was hilarious. Plus, what happens when E News, where Giuliana works, ends up having to cover celebrity news about her?
9. ‘The Amazing Race’

Truth be told, I have only seen a few episodes of “The Amazing Race,” but I am thinking I should change that. Every time I have watched it I was riveted. It’s crazy to see what the stress does to some teams and which ones rise above it. Plus, they always end up getting to do really cool stuff.
10. ‘Jersey Shore’

“Jersey Shore” is last on the list because I only find it mildly interesting. I think that the hype surrounding the show is a lot more interesting than the show itself, but usually “Jersey Shore” manages to at least hold my interest.